Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, lilcastro:

No need to apologize. You're not bugging me at all.

If I can be of assistance, that is what I have volunteered my time for.

OK...that model wireless adapter has issues that you are describing...This is a known problem, and until Realtek gets their act together and releases a driver that works right, there is only one fix that I know of.

Go to your device manager, click on the Network Adapters section. Then click on your Realtek 8188 wireless network adapter.

Click on the Advanced Tab.  You will see a bunch of settings. Find the Wireless Mode setting and change it from B/G/N to B/G and close out.

The card will probably disconnect and reconnect.

This trick reportedly solves the random connection loss, but unfortunately, your card will only connect at a maximum of 54 MBPS.

But at least you will have a solid connection.

Occasionally come back here and click on the link to that realtek wireless driver I posted for you. Click on the Revision History tab, and see if there is a newer version you can try.

Until Realtek fixes the connection dropping with a new driver, the workaround I have outlined here should work for you.

Paul

HP Recommended

hey paul,

thanks for your time for assisting me. i will surely come for you for any future help. hopefully realtek comes out with a updated driver. as well as this little setting change will help my computer. again, thankf for your time.

lilcastro

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Sorry to bother you all....I too am having problems getting onto the internet thru a cable provider. I've attempted to look on the HP web site for the correct driver...but there are 183 and I'm not sure which would work. I installed a new HD after the orignal one began crashing and locking up. my unit is a 

HP Pavilion Magnesium Grey Edition p6654y PC-Desk Top.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul, Will I be able to use a memory stick to copy this to so as I can install it on the HP desk top?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Absolutely.  A USB flash drive is the best way to go.

HP Recommended

OK I down loaded it to the desk top  with my memory stick but I get 

"Your system does not meet the operating system requirments.

Up dote has been cancelled. (9997)"    so I must have a 32 bit system, what can I do now?

HP Recommended

Are you trying to install the wired or wireless network adapter?

If wired, use this driver directly from Realtek--4th one on the list

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=7&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTy...

Wireless, try the driver directly from the Ralink site:

Select the driver in the 4th grouping of wireless adapters.

http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support/support.php?sn=500

HP Recommended

Hi There,

In need of an ethernet controller driver

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_1696&SUBSYS_12BC103C&REV_03\4&3A321F38&0&10F0

Please can some one help

much appreciated

Freddie

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.