Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

A few weeks ago my computer started giving me error message that said like this: Missing File error: Unable to locale data files. Please reinstall.  Now it stoped but its running extremly slow.

I'm not an expert, I tried to look on the internet what to do but didn't have much luck. It's there a solution to my problem?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

It's possible that you have "errors" in the file-system, that cause the file (what is its name?) to not be found.

Hold down the the "Windows" key (on your keyboard).

Type the R key, once.

Release the "Windows" key.

Into the window that opens, type CMD    and press ENTER.

Into the window that open, type   CHKDSK C: /F    and press ENTER.

When it tells you about "locked", click/enter YES.

Shutdown and restart your computer.

CHKDSK will run, and will try to repair any errors in the file-system.

Your only other solution:

* backup all your files/E-mail/pictures/music to an external disk-drive.

* in Windows, run "reset my PC" to reinstall Windows (it claims to *NOT* delete all your files, but having a backup gives good peace-of-mind).

* run Windows Update to apply all the security-fixes to your "fresh" copy of Windows.

HP Recommended
Thanks! I will follow the steps
HP Recommended

Hello! I tried your first option and this is the message thats giving me: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this ytility running in elevated mode. 

Should I try the other option?

HP Recommended

>  I tried your first option and this is the message thats giving me: Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges. You have to invoke this ytility running in elevated mode. 

1. Click the "Windows" key on your keyboard.

2. Into the window that opens, near the bottom-left of your screen, type  CMD  but do not press  ENTER

3. Near the top-left of the screen, you'll see Programs (1)

4. Below it, right-mouse-button-click on the string CMD

5. Choose Run as Administrator

Now, you have an "elevated" command-line window, where you can enter that  CHKDSK   command.

HP Recommended
I did it and it didn't found any problems but at least it started acting way faster. Thanks for your help!
HP Recommended

> ... at least it started acting way faster. 

That is both "good" -- running faster -- and "bad" -- it might be an indication that the disk-drive has some "bad" spots.

The electronics on the disk-drive can use some "spare" blocks on the disk-drive to automatically "stand-in" for any "bad" blocks.

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run SPECCY, and expand the "storage" section, to see something like the following.

Moderators: NOTE THAT THE ONLY "SERIAL-NUMBER" THAT IS DISPLAYED BELOW  IS OF THE DISK-DRIVE.

THERE IS NOTHING THAT ONE CAN DO WITH THAT SERIAL-NUMBER -- IT DOES *NOT* PERSONALLY IDENTIFY ME.

Capture.JPG

Note all the "Good" indicators.  If you see any "Bad" or  "Warning"   indicators, you should immediately plan to replace the disk-drive, before it completely "dies".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.