Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion H8 1150UK
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System:
Monitor - LG Flatron W2442PE
PC - HP Pavillion H8 1150UK
Processor - Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
RAM 6.00 Gb
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Windows 7 Home 64 bit
NVIDIA Geoforce GT 530

When playing games, after a few minutes the monitor will go into "power saving mode" and there is no way of getting it to turn back on - the PC is still running and you can hear the audio - but I have to reboot using the power switch. I have tried different cables DV and HDMI but it is not a connection issue. I have updated the driver, but it persists! Do I need a new graphics card to keep up with these  new games? If so can anybody recommend one that would be compatible?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@mickywoodsie,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service!

As I understand the computer enters sleep mode while you are playing a game and here's what you need to do:

This is either an issue with the power options that needs to be changed or if the video card isn't upgraded to the newest version, click on this link to know how to resolve this issue.

Let me know, how that goes!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for responding to my problem - I have opened the PC casing and cleaned away any dust and vacuumed it as well. I have installed the latest driver - but it still goes into power saving mode!

HP Recommended

@mickywoodsie,

The pleasure is all mine!

If re-installing the drivers and cleaning the PC didn't do the trick, Please follow the below steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.

2. Click the arrow next to the device that needs to be adjusted.

• If you are using an optical mouse, select Mice and other pointing devices.

• If the computer is using an "always-on" Internet connection, select Network Adapters.

• To check the high definition audio settings, click Sound, video, and game controllers.

3. Double-click the name of the device to open a Properties window.

4. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button. The same Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

5. Click the Power Management tab, and Check the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer. You might need to do this for each of the devices listed in the previous step, mice, keyboards, and sound.

6. Click OK, close the open windows, and then restart the computer.

This way the computer shouldn't enter sleep mode while you are playing a game!

Keep me posted!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for responding but, No - I think you have mis-read my original post - the computer is not going into sleep mode! The MONITOR goes into power saving mode! The computer is still awake I can hear the audio but can't see anything.  When I google it there are lots of people with the same problem - but no solutions. I am thinking of upgrading the graphics card do you know what would be compatible?

HP Recommended

@mickywoodsie,

Thank you for replying!

I understand there are quite a few people who have similar issues and my previous post was related to resolving issues with the monitor entering a power saving mode (though the description may be different from that of the original post-it is supposed to resolve your issue).

Nevertheless, if upgrading the graphics card is what you would prefer, i recommend you to try your graphics card on an alternate computer to check if the issue persists and if it does on the other computer as well, please go ahead with the upgrade!

The "Chicago" motherboard in your PC will not accept most of the newer graphics cards as your PC lacks a version 8 BIOS.

The older NVIDIA graphics cars such as the 450, 460 and 660 should work but you will need a 500+ watt power supply.

Keep me posted!

Regards,

Another option is to contact HP Sales and ask about graphics card for the HP Elite h8-1110t which has the same motherboard.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.