Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-175se CT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I wanted to perform a clean install of Windows 7 for my computer. I tried both booting from a DVD and from a USB drive. Everytime I entered the "select language and region" screen, it couldn't detect my keyboard or mouse. There was no way to proceed the install.

On the other hand, they could be detected if booting from the HP Recovery drive.

Both keyboard and mouses were wired and connected through USB. In the BIOS I couldn't find any option to enable "USB Legacy" support or something like that. I appreciate any help!

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Checked out your PC's Software download site only to find Order Recovery Media available for selection.

No software or driver downloads. which is very strange.

The only thing I could think of is: are the keyboard and mouse connected to USB 2.0 ports and not USB 3.0 ports?

Win 7 does not provide native USB 3.0 support during the install and operation. USB manufacturer drivers are required to have USB 3.0.

Check UEFI settings in Security. You may have to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot. This BIOS (UEFI) change is usually required on Win 8.x HP PC's to be able to boot and install a different operating system.

TomP

HP Recommended

thanks for your info. I did connect them through USB 2.0. This computer was shipped with Win7, so I checked that it was not using secure boot.

This is frustrating...

HP Recommended

I'm Having the same problem and I have the same computer. I can't even install Windows 10 because I end up getting a BSOD. This is very frustrating indeed, I have restarted my computer and try to reinstall different types of windows for about 50 times now. I don't know if thats so good for the PC. I am helpless, I am able to install Windows however during the first bootup my mouse and keyboard along with all other USB ports stop working. I am starting to think this a driver/chipset issue? Perhaps the new skylake chipset is so new thats the Windows 7 Doesnt detect its drivers or something? I Have also called tech support and they were no help. Someone help us out please before I have to return the PC.

HP Recommended

Okay great. I searched "windows 7 skylake" and found the cause. There were tons of webpages saying Skylake abandoning USB on Win 7. However, a motherboard manufacturer website states a solution of selecting "PS/2 simulation". I hope HP releases a new BIOS firmware that has this option so that the problem could be solved.

HP Recommended

The interesting is that ... Supposedly, Skylate abandoned EHCI which Win 7 PE requires. But the mouse and keyboard do work on HP System Recovery. Also, I was able to boot a Win 7 installation using a USB thumb through USB 3.0, which shouldn't work in various forums (without manually placing USB drivers onto the thumb). So apparently, HP has done something to make it (partially) work.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Good detective work.

So were you able to install Win 7 clean using USB 3.0 port? USB 3.0 port should not work without additional drivers.

It seems that Microsoft and Intel (Wintel) are making it harder to take ownership of one's PC these days. 

Microsoft wants you to use Win 10. Microsoft is pushing Win 7 into obsolescence.

It appears HP is being forced into making consumers use only it's recovery discs on Windows 7. Microsoft implemented this change, Intel is on board.

Pc's are becoming large smart phones.

TomP

HP Recommended

Yes since I did install windows 7 however I am still unable to use mouse and keyboard after the first boot therefore making my PC Unusable, I accidently deleted Recovery partition because I thought maybe that was causing the trouble. So as of now I can't use my PC, whats the fix around this?

HP Recommended

Greetings,

I see no other option but to use the HP recovery discs.

Did you make a set? If not, you will have to order a set here.

TomP

HP Recommended

IS there any other fix to it? such as installing Intel Chipset drivers or something? If I call HP will they exchange the same pc with more ram ( I want 16 GB instead of 12) or will they add it to the existing pc because i'd rather get a new one now because I messed around with it a lot trying to fix it and I might have decreased its longevity by restarting it near 50x times and removing/replacing its components trying to make it work.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.