Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello bensirbenny, Sorry to hear your computer will not boot.

Your system failing to power on condition could be caused by one or more devices not working properly.

The first place to check would be the power supply, since many Members here have power supply failures.

The motherboard could also cause a non-boot condition. There is really no way to determine if the motherboard is the issue.

Could you advise the Model of your system and the operating system you are using.

With a proper model number, someone can research a non-boot condition for your model number.

Hope this helps.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

This thread sounds all to familiar to me.  I have always bought HP products except for my very first (IBM, don't laugh, but had a huge 5 Mg HD and memory chips running on DOS,) to the third which was an NEC (the company no longer exists, but the best I ever owned!  Sorry I digress, as I said, since the NEC, years ago, I always bought HPs and they were pretty sturdy PCs, as a matter of fact I am typing this on my old HP Pavilion a800n XP machine because I have a Dell from, well I will leave it at that, and a Compaq Laptop, both of which are about 2 years old or less, with the same problems you all are experiencing in one form or another.

Forgive me for mentioning another manufacturer, but if you think you have had issues with HP techs, don't even consider a Dell.  Top of the line Core 2 Quad Intel processor, dedicated sound and video cards, HVI monitor and sound system, etc.  Not even two months after it was delivered, I was out, had my external HD connected doing a back-up and when I got home, both were dead.  I consider myself to be extremely knowledgeable about PCs and looked for the Manual to see what could be causing the problem.  Problem was, nobody prints manuals for their PCs anymore, they are on the HD for you to download and print several hundred pages should you need it.  I did, couldn't get to it, I didn't expect to need it within 2 months.  So I tried to diagnose it myself.

Apparently, on that day, Vista automatically upgraded to SP1 and that was part of the problem.  I spoke for days with an MS tech because the Dell tech asked me what I wanted him to do about it one a 3-way conference call with the MS tech, and I should bring it to a shop (still under warranty mind you).  After about a week, I finally discovered the original issue that caused the problem when it upgraded to SP1.  Out of date drivers for some of the devices, caused it to crash when it upgraded without updating the drivers first.  Duh, it was barely out of the box, custom built and the drivers were out of date?  Since then, when I have been able to get it to run, I have been lucky if I have been able to use it about a fourth of the time I had it until it died again several months ago. 

It is definitely a power issue, but as someone else mentioned earlier, they too stripped down and tested everything to no avail, I also came to the conclusion it was Mb-related, the same as his.  No guarantee that that is the only problem, as it could have damaged any of the other internal components, cards, battery, processor, etc.

While I was mulling over the decision to have it analyzed (only) for about $80, I had my Compaq laptop, at least for close to a year longer.  I bought it while the DFH was calling in sick.  Apparently it caught the same disease as it has joined the other in my IT decor.  Pretty sad, as I type this out on my old HP XP which is now having it's issues.  I have recovered this system nearly every 4 to 5 days.  I have been able to keep it running and online for now, with issues, but it is now running so poorly, it is ready for another recovery.  I guess the only answer is to do another destructive recovery!  Having done that initially, and after that non-destructive recoveries (which have only added to the problems) and the hours spent reinstalling all the updates, I am debating on purchasing another as this is soooooo slow, and greatly out of date, there doesn't appear to be any other solution.

However, after this exciting episode with both Dell and HP computers, I am definitely doing my homework  before I spend another dollar.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help out anyone here as I don't have an answer for you.  Of course you could consider the same route and purchase a new one because if by the time you have an answer, the machines will be out-dated, if they aren't already and in the end it will be cheaper to replace them than have them analyzed and repaired.

Wishing you all luck and hope you find a solution.  However they all sound power related to me and that means it could be something simple or .... they do make nice art work if you are into IT art!  :robotmad:

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have the exact same problem as Bart in the previous post. When I attempt to turn on my laptop, the power lights come on initially, but then after less than a second, everything goes off. Initially I just held my finger on the button (really more of a thing that slides than a button) for longer, and that seemed to work. Now, even if I have my finger on the button, it will still go off. Sometimes it turns on on the first try, other times it takes 8 or 10 tries. I'm worried that at some point it's not going to turn on at all. The model is a Pavillion tx2508ca. It's two and a half years old, and I have already had to replace the hard drive once after, only 9 months (I was told I used it so much that it basically got fried, so now I have some sort of device that it sits on to cool it off.) In any case, if I remember correctly it doesn't seem to be the same problem now as it was then.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

HP Recommended

When you try the power button hold down on your laptop then be sure to first unplug the laptop and remove the battery.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

This happened to me yesterday....My pc wouldn't turn on past the power-LED on the front...the PSU fan ran at top speed and nothing happened...UNTIL...

I then noticed that something on my desk has pushed against a key on the keyboard...locking the OS....when I removed the object, the PC continued its setup...no problem...

SOoooooooooo....PERHAPS one of the keys on the keyboard is stuck...not the most unusual occurrence, right?  Try running your fingers over all the key to make sure all are "in their upright position"... 🙂

Wouldn't it be wonderful.....

HP Recommended

I have the HP Compaq dx2450s and have the same power button problem, I shorted the terminals on the motherboard and that didn't work so I know it is not the switch. I was able to get the pc to come back on by unplugging it, holding the power switch down and then plugging it back in. So the power switch is in the on position when plugging it back in. This worked more than once although it took a couple of times to make it work

HP Recommended

it turns on i just cant get to start ... it says i need a pass/word .. 

HP Recommended

Just had the same prolem though it is a more than 2 years later. 

Unplugging the outlet, holding down the power button for 10 seconds and then while holding down the power button reconnect the power.  That helped.  But I wouldn't turn off my computer again for fear this might not work next time. 

HP Recommended

I work in IT and we have (or had) about 10 HP towers and 5 of them have crapped out this same way. I have tried testing every part in the machine and everything works fine.

I can tell you it is not an external device causing the issue because each machine has had different things hooked up. I also know that it is not the power supply, RAM, hard drive, or the cd drive because I am using those parts in new machines with out issue and some of the machines that crapped out had a different hard drive or cd drive.

There is something wrong with the motherboard. I still can't find what it is (I have pretty much given up) and even if I could find it I doubt it is worth replacing.

HP Recommended

You are correct.  It is the motherboard.  If the computer is more than 3 years old it doesn't pay to repair. Best to get a new computer.

I've had problems with HP computers before.  The hard drive had to be replaced within a year of purchase and now the computer wouldn't go on.  

I replaced it with a Dell. Always liked Dell and will stick to it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.