Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

About 4 hours after purchasing new HP S2031 Monitor from Fry's, no sound from monitor speakers. Have gone through the following troubleshooting steps: (Operating system: Windows XP)

1. Confirm cable hookkups to computer and monitor are tight.

2. Drivers installed and updated.

3. Thorough check out of Control Panel-Sound Devices-no mutes checked, volumes up on high.

4. Tried sounds from online youtube videos and samples from My Music folder.

5. Insure monitor front-panel volume button in tray is not mutted and is high.

HP troubleshooting says

A. Using the buttons on the monitor, navigate through the onscreen display (OSD) menu to find audio or speaker settings and enable the speakers. I have been up and down the OSD menu and cannot find the word audio or speaker settings.

B. If the monitor is connected to a computer using an HDMI cable, the HDMI connection can be used for audio as well as video. Ensure HDMI audio is selected as the main audio output in the operating system (for example, Windows Audio Properties in Control Panel. I am not sure what this means. The monitor is connected to the computer with the cable that came in the box with the monitor and I could not find Windows Audio Properties in Control Panel.

HP troubleshooting also says check the cable connection. If the monitor-to-computer connection is a VGA cable (usually blue on both ends), an additional audio cable is needed between the monitor and the computer. Check that the audio cable is connected properly. There is another cable that came in the box, total of 18 pins, 9 in two squares which fits the monitor. No place on the computer for this cable.

So new nice monitor but no sound. It is likely to be a simple matter but I am not an IT person-

Thanks for any suggestions or solutions.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Try this, go to control panel,make sure on the top right it is set to "large icons", click on "sound", when it opens you should be obn the "Playback" tap" it will say at the top. I am not sure whicjhoption it would be there but try them all until you get it, I reckon itmight be the one called "Speakers" but right click on them all and set each one to "Set as default device" try them one at a time until you get the right one.

But something that is important it is probably best not to have anything playing while you set each one to default...change each setting while there is no sound and then try playing after each setting has been tried. I hope that works 🙂

HP Recommended

Also if you have NVIDIA the same as me it should be that option on the sound settings, but whichever cgraphics/audio card you have it shoudl be that one you set as default...as it is set through HDMI also if you are trying to watch a DVD or anything like that you also have to set the audio options in the software to output to HDMI as well.

HP Recommended

Is this monitor model s2031 - WJ676AA  or s2031a - WR733AA. The box or the label on the rear should give all details.

The s2031 monitor has no speakers, http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02190464

Cheers,

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

An HP Employee? I was told the peopel on here weren't and were just people llike myself trying to get help and information...well I know this is off topic but can you please tell me if it possible for HP to make a PC and put a gaphics card in it that differs from the actaul card specified in device manager? I mean is it possible the card that is supplied witht eh machine can differe fromt he retail version of the card although on Device manager it specifies that it is the correct card? I know it is on someone else thread but an HP employee is what I am looking for not monkeys that do not have a clue but someone who knows what I am talking about...because so far monkeys are all I have been able to get,and I have actually evolved since then, unlike some people, thanks in advance..

HP Recommended

In short can the card that is supollied with my machine be different of the retail version of the same card?

Also is it possibole for HP emplyees to evolve from monkeys to humans? As that may be helpful o get an answer to my question, thanks agian in advance..hehe!

HP Recommended

look how fast I have evolved only yesterday I Was a stuident now I am teaching the little people who own HP products..if only HP owners would evolve so quickly...yeah it has taken almost 7 months to get my PC up and running properly I think I ahve been very patient...which is amazing comsidering i am not a patient person.

HP Recommended

and oh yeah I am also dyslexic yet I know more about  what I am taking about that any tech suport I have spoken to, in fact I Would actually go as far to say i am pretty clever, well peoples eyeborws draw in with an expression of confusion when I mentio HD master audio...doh we do not know we have yet to evolve....yeaaah but I already done that.

HP Recommended
Just discovered that the HP S2031 monitor does not have internal
speakers. Solves the issue.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.