Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP500-054
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Recently after starting my computer I will get a blank screen on my Dell S2440L monitor and it would say it was in sleep mode with no signal input coming from the computer. The computer boots up with ligt on, no error signal beeps. I have checked the video VGA cable and even replaced it, I tried to reinsert the ram on the computer seeing if that was the problem and it still has the issue. Have tried to unplug the computer and monitor, no fix.  I tried a different monitor, same problem. 

Just wondering if the built in graphics on the computer is at fault and if a new video graphics card might be the answer? If I get a new card installed do I need to disable the built in one on this computer and how can I do this prior to installation if I cannot get to view anything on the monitor? Thanks for any help. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It could be the onboard graphics has failed.  To verify, try to enter the BIOS screen at startup.  On the newer HP model - start tapping Esc immendiately after pressing the physical start button.  If the BIOS shows, then it is a driver issue, most likely.  If no go, then perhaps an inexpensive graphics card can be installed.

The SUPPORT PAGE indicates a VGA and DVI output port.  Have you tried the DVI port?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Have not tried the DVI port, no cable to try it with plus the monitor only has VGA connection. If I get a new graphics card do I need to disable the built in one on the motherboard that came with this computer or will it recognize the new card and switch to it automatically? Thanks for the help.

HP Recommended

The onboard graphics is supposed to be disabled automatically when the graphics card is inserted per the support page:

*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.