Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 110-a04 Desktop Computer
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I am pleased to know that HP has this kind of assistance for us troubled folk. And, I am more than pleased to be here. A year ago, I purchased this computer for my wife who is a realtor. At the time she had no desk top computer. To be honest, I've never paid much attention to this computer as long as it worked for my wife. This computer used Windows 8 and my computer uses Windows 7. To be honest, I am not at all familiar with working around Windows 8 so need help.

I recently ordered and added an external 1 TB Seagate hard drive and Star Tech USB SATA Hard Drive Docking Station. I don't know how to locate this hard drive. I also don't know how to format it for use. Where do I go to find out where this new hard drive is? What do I do to format it for use. Finally, how should I identify this hard drive? Should I call it an "H" or "J" drive? Thank you all for any help you can provide.

MusicManBob

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Given you put new HDD to the right USB dock already,

>>> I don't know how to locate this hard drive

Please plug it to any USB port on your computer, after few seconds you can see it under Windows/File Explorer

>>> I also don't know how to format it for use

You don't need to format it again, Seagate formatted it already

>>>  Where do I go to find out where this new hard drive is?

Again, you can see new drive under Windows/File Explorer. No need to re-fomatte it.

>>> Should I call it an "H" or "J" drive?

You can call it anything from A: to Z: . System may use some letters already (A:, B:, C:, D:. E:, Z:) you can use the rest of 26 letters.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Good evening BH and thank you so much for getting back to me on this. Actually, I have no idea how to access or get to "Windows/File Explorer" on my wife's computer. She runs Windows 8 which is different from Windows 7 which I use. Thank you again.

bob

HP Recommended

Hi,

Good afternoon (Friday).

Please watch the following video (less than 30 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQeLVJFB4I0

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

BH, I am very grateful to you for leading me to Windows/Files. However, here is what's happening now. When I've gone there I see

"Devices and Drives" (3)

Windows C  drive

Recovery D drive

DVD RW Drive E

I do not see the new 1TB Seagate drive anywhere. Now, the docking station I use has a on/off button. When I turn the docking station off, then back one, up comes a  "Driver Update Notification" window indicating the need to purchase a driver for this hard drive. I don't understand that. Am I to believe that the only way to see the newly installed hard drive is to pay for a year's worth of drivers?

Using Star Tech USB 3.0 Dual SATA hard drive docking station, I just installed a 1TB and 3TB hard drive on my Windows 7 computer with no problems. Do you have any idea why my wife's computer is asking to install new drivers? Where should I go from here sir?  Thank you so much.

bob

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm trying to find a driver for you but hit to this:

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Docking/~SATDOCK22U3S

It clearly say:  

Supports any operating system.
               No additional drivers or software required.

Well, can your windows 7 machine see it ? Please try a different USB port.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hello and I am back with some additional information. I unseated and reseated the new hard drive thinking that may be the problem of Windows File not reading the disk. That was not the problem. Thanks much. By the way, I am sure it's obvious I am not very technical. However, at 70 plus years old I am proud of how far I"ve come trying to understand computers. Again, I thank all for your help.

bob

HP Recommended

Sir, here is what I found after you advised me to try another USB input. I did that and got this error message,

" The last USB device connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it"  So I guess that means the computer recognized there is another device connected, but does see it as a hard disk?

Bob

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try the following fix:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/the-last-usb-device-you-connect...

Regards.

Note: I will be joining to club70 very soon

BH

HP Recommended

Good Friday Afternoon Sir,

I am pleased I have someone in my age group. I don't feel so old now. Thank you for sharing that with me. I just returned from a veterans program here. I will go to the links you've shared with me. The great thing about all of this with your advice is, I am learning my wife's computer and becoming more technical inclined. I feel honored there are those here who don't mind reaching out to those of us who don't have much of a clue.

bob

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.