Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP RP2 Retail System 2030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded one of the POS Stations form Windows 7 to Windows 10. We require CTRL+ALT+DEL to login to the network. In Windows 7 there was an icon to touch to allow the touch screen to operate, but in Windows 10 there is nothing. We would like to not have keyboards and mice on these devices, but this feature, On Board keyboard, is imperitive to have.
I have tried Ease of access, have edited the registry, have done everything that has been posted about this concern and nothing is working.
I have an idea it is a driver concern, but am unsure. In Windows 7 there was a start programs on boot with the SW loaded but in 10 there is nothing that even resembles this feature.

HELP

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't know where you get this short cut, nprmally Ctrl+Alt+Del is for lock screen option. Anyway, please try:

To open the On-Screen Keyboard
  • Go to Start Start button icon, then select Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard, and then move the slider under On-Screen Keyboard. A keyboard appears on the screen that can be used to move around the screen and enter text. The keyboard will remain on the screen until you close it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

BH,

I tried that and many other items, but when the machine boots or reboots the keyboard has disappeared then I need to plug in a keyboard to access the CTRL+ALT+DEL, once that has been done then the ease of access icon appears and I can enable the OSK.

Thanks for your reply, any thing else I may have forgotten?

HP Recommended

Yes, the Windows 8/8.1 lock screen included an Ease Of Access button, but for some reason Microsoft stupidly chose to omit it in Windows 10.

There is a well-known registry hack for disabling the lock screen altogether, which will cause Windows to go directly to the regular logon screen on bootup. Unfortunately, if the Ctrl-Alt-Del security option is enabled (like it is on your machine), this method doesn't work and you'll still be presented with the lock screen on bootup.

So I think the only solution would be to disable the Ctrl-Alt-Del security option. Of course, since you mentioned this is a POS machine, it's possible that your employer or place of business may not want you to do this. In my opinion, the Ctrl-Alt-Del option is of little or no value security-wise.

HP Recommended

@johnnyzero2a wrote:

Yes, the Windows 8/8.1 lock screen included an Ease Of Access button, but for some reason Microsoft stupidly chose to omit it in Windows 10. .....

Hi,

That is not true, I'm using Windows 10 right now and you can see:

sc01.png

sc02.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

You're obviously misunderstanding me. I'm referring specifically to the Windows 10 lock screen (which is what the original poster's question is all about).

Just to clarify:

In Windows 8.1, if the Ctrl-Alt-Del security option was enabled, the lock screen would sensibly display an Ease of Access button (from which you could access the on-screen keyboard and press Ctrl-Alt-Del to get past the lock screen):

Win8Lock.jpg

Compare this to the Windows 10 lock screen, which does not display an Ease of Access button:

Win10Lock.jpg

So, as the original poster is describing, with Windows 10 there's apparently no way to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to get past the lock screen, unless he attaches a physical keyboard to his POS machine.

As I said in my previous post, the only solution I can think of would be to disable the Ctrl-Alt-Del security option.

Now do you understand?

HP Recommended

Yes, I cannot remove the security of CTRL+ALT+DEL, we need it to log on securly to our network. 
On boot that OSK is not there, not coulf I get it to work, I did  a reg hack, still nothing. If I plug in and attach a keyboard, run the three finger salute, the OSK Ease of Access button shows up on the Username and Password screen.
I noticed that with Win7 the OSK was part of the Start up foolder, but not in Win10

HP Recommended

@Hoopah wrote:

Yes, I cannot remove the security of CTRL+ALT+DEL, we need it to log on securly to our network.

In most cases, the Ctrl-Alt-Del thing is not something that's explicitly required or enforced by the network, per se. Rather, it's usually implemented as a per-computer setting. In other words, you should be able to configure each individual computer to either require Ctrl-Alt-Del or not.

Try this on your POS machine:

1) From an Administrator command prompt, type "control userpasswords2", press Enter.

2) Go to the Advanced tab, and uncheck "Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete".

3) Apply, OK.

4) Re-boot.

Let me know how you make out.

HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this. I have a student with no arms and this response will help that student be more successful and independent in class. On behalf of him and myself I appreciate you taking the time to post.

Sean

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.