Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6-2007c
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The computer will not boot. Fans spin, but no display. Last time I used it, the BIOS needed to be updated, but got BSOD in the middle and when I tried to turn it back on, the power led was orange/amber color. Any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

See "Step 3" of: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2000-desktop-pc-series/5151865/model/5156910/doc...

for how to "flash" (reload into "flash-memory") the BIOS, to replace the corrupted BIOS that is causing your symptoms.

Please read the whole document, before proceeding.

HP Recommended

Hi. I looked at the document that you sent but I cant perform it for a few reasons. The SPXXXX.exe file does not let me select the flash drive. Also, the computer does not display anything, not even the BIOS hotkeys and HP Splash screen. Any other ideas? Thank you for responding though.

HP Recommended

> The SPXXXX.exe file does not let me select the flash drive.

Running that program creates a folder on the computer, underneath the 'C:\SWSETUP' folder.

Copy the contents of that folder to a flash-memory drive.

But, if you are not getting any "power" to your computer, you have a different problem, namely that the power-supply that has failed. It must output several different voltage-levels.  If one of those levels is not working, then you might get ilghts from the lamps, but no power to the motherboard.

HP Recommended

Hi. I just tried 2 different PSU's and the same thing happened. Do you think it is a board issue?

HP Recommended

>> Last time I used it, the BIOS needed to be updated, but got BSOD in the middle ...

> Do you think it is a motherboard issue?

Probably, yes.  If it will not even start to run the POST (Power On Self Test) it probably is the motherboard.

Some POSTs cause ONE "beep" after successful completion of POST.

But, it could be bad RAM.

If there are two sticks of RAM, remove one, and try.

Then, remove the remaining stick, and try -- hopefully to generate some "beeps" if it gets far enough to detect that there is no RAM.  If it does not get that far, then it's probably NOT a RAM problem, which points us back to the motherboard.

Then, insert the first-removed stick of RAM, and try.

HP Recommended

There does not appear to be an onboard speaker. How do I listen for beeps? Will the headphone jack output them? Also, I tried both sticks of ram in two different sockets. Still the same problem. Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

> There does not appear to be an onboard speaker.

Not even anything like:

(shown at about 400% of "life-size") ???

HP Recommended

Unfourtunately, no.

HP Recommended

> Unfouuuuurtunately, no.

In the picture, note that it fits onto two pins, but with a "gap" between the 1st and 3rd pins.

On the motherboard, is there a 'SPK' or 'SPKR' labelled group of 3 pins (or pin-gap-pin), where such a mini-speaker could be attached, so that you could hear the "beeps" ?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.