Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-a1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a new computer. I connected to external USB drives to this computer. One is a traditional 1TB hard drive and the other is a 240 gb ssd drive. My problem is that on the traditional drive, I can not access one of my files. On the SSD drive, I can see the drive listed by can not access. I get a message that states I do not have permission to access. These work fine on my old HP computer but for some reason do not work on this new machine. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Mj55

Perhaps the folders / files on the external drive(s) are not owned / controlled by the same owner.

I can offer the following ideas - it may help you track down the problem.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Find Your Missing USB Drive in Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Following is a very abbreviated explanation of folder / file ownership and control ...

You may think you are the same "you" on the new computer:

If your UserName (the name of the account you use to log into the new computer) is the same as the UserName you used on the old computer, you are still not the same "you".

The "new you" may not own (or control) folders and / or files on the external drive(s).

What??

Computers do not use "names" for ownership / control -- the File System uses a system of numbers called the SID to identify who is logged in and who / what controls the folders, files, and programs on the computer.

Your "User Name", that is, the name of the account / login may be the same on the new computer as that name you used on the old computer...

For example:

Old computer UserName:  Banyan

New computer UserName:  Banyan

The SID (number identity) that recognizes your account on the computer is a different number on each computer.

Yellow_Arrow_Bullet_2.jpg  Example - See your SID information:

Open a command prompt with Admin control (do not type the + signs)

Windows key + X +  

Type the following command:

wmic useraccount get name,sid

Press "Enter" after you enter the command

If you still have the old computer, try the wmic command on that computer...

Reference and Explanation of SID:

How to View Full Details of All User Accounts in Windows 10

IF the file(s) on the External Drive do not give you access, you may need to "take control" of the folders / files that are balking (not letting you read / copy / execute the data).

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

If you are logged into the computer with an account that provides Admin privileges, check -- and, if necessary -- "take ownership" and control of the file(s) on the external drive.

How to take ownership and get full access to files and folders in Windows 10

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Kind of lost me but I appreciate the help. I figured out how to change the authorization on my traditional hard drive that had the one file with my music I could not access. Had to do it with each folder individually. What a pain. However, it appears that each song will have to be changed or something. This is a mess. I can now see the MP3 files but they will not play on any of the players. The folders are there and the files are in a the folders. However, I can not get a single one of them to play. I get some message saying they can not play or something. I do not get it. If anyone has any other ideas i'd appreciate it. I'll review the above suggestions by Dragon-Fur but it is a little over my head. Thanks for your time and patience. 

Cheers,

Mj

HP Recommended

@Mj55

I am sorry for your confusion -- you should ignore the information if the problem is not file ownership. 

Know too, that my inability to explain the concept is not your problem.  Should you ever need to know about file ownership and control, just open your browser and use your favorite search engine to look for articles on the subject. 

OK - So, is the actual issue that you cannot listen to mp3 file(s) on your Windows 10 system?

I missed the part about these being music files...

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

If the music won't play where it is located (on the external disk) > copy it to a local folder.

If you have operational control over the files, try copying (as opposed to moving) one or more of the files to a local folder on your Windows 10 computer.

Copying the data to a local folder in your account gives you control and ownership of the file, by the way.

COPY the files -- Do NOT "move".   Use COPY and if you lose track of where the data lands, or if anything goes sideways, you still have your original files.

Set up Groove Music or another application and try to play the file(s) from the local folder.

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Assuming the data is not corrupted and that the files are otherwise intact and "playable", you can choose your Media Player app from a number of alternatives.

Install a music media player application:

Windows 10 Media Player Alternatives to Windows Media Center

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

According to the information, Windows 10 Groove Music App is perhaps already installed on your Windows 10 computer.

Look for your installed Media players:

Settings > System > Default Apps > "Music player" app >

Click to change / add the player app from those already on the system

No Music apps?

Download and install Groove Music from the Windows Store. Windows - Groove Music App

The adverts try to interest you in a subscription to their Music Pass; whether you go that route is a personal decision.

You can play your music that is stored on your Computer:

Add music to Groove on Windows 10 PC

Additional Information / Help:

Groove Support

Everything you need to know about the Groove Music app on Windows 10

How to Add and Organize Music on Windows 10 Using the Groove Music App

How to change the default music player in Windows 10

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

Need a Converter -- there are several.

One example from the Windows Store:

Batch Music Converter

Fancy_Lines_4.jpg

If the data is corrupted or otherwise not usable, try connecting the external drive onto either your old computer or connect the drive to another computer that provides that same Operating System as your original computer.  See if you can copy and then play the data.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur,

Thank you you so much for taking the time to assist. I do appreciate it. I tried coping the files to another folder. I still had permission issues. I'm not going to be able to get back to the issue until later this week. Hopefully, I'll get it resolved then. Again, thank you very much for the help and your time. 

Regards,

Mj

HP Recommended

@Mj55

You are welcome.

I admit I may have missed something... the issue might be a simple one after all.

Good Luck!

Let us know how you fare.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.