Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1380t CTO Deskt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I am having a problem with this computer not wanting to boot at all, not even bios post or HP logo will show on screen.

Computer was upgrade to win 10 from win 7 and video graphics were very unstable making it almost useless so finally got win 10 to revert back to win 7 and this seemed to be fully successful after the final reboot into win 7.Documents, programs and all seemed to be ok .

Windows 7 showed 17 important updates available and wanted to reboot so we let it.

It seemed to install 9 of the updates and then locked up, waited for 24 hours and still stuck with black screen, no errors and still powered on.

So forced a shutdown by holding power button and after a minute turned back on with power button.

Now all fans turn on but computer never enters bios to start up ,

Nothing on screen, keyboard and mouse not seen , no beep sounds.

Seems like cmos bios is not working at all.

Tried taking out cmos Battery, Cannot find how to clear cmos to defaults that matches this Motherboard. MB is H-Joshua-H61-uATX (Joshua).

Jumpers show 6 pins in this MB on Hp web site and mine has 7 with one blank and no numbers near pins.

I tried several positions for the jumper and each time this has failed to recover or reset the cmos.

Not sure what to try from here?????

Can anyone help?

Added info,

I do not see how changing OS and going back could affect the cmos bios on this machine, but definitely this seems to be a cmos motherboard problem as on power up all fans start but none of the attached devices, monitor, keyboard, HDD, USB or Optical drive start or are recognized .So I cannot even boot to another device at all.

I am stumped!!

Can anyone help?

No answers or replies yet. Am i on the right forum for this question?

Thanks.

56 REPLIES 56
HP Recommended

Hi,

How do you know that the other devices are not being recognized? 

Upgrading from one OS to another will not change the CMOS settings but removing the CMOS battery will in some cases.  Check the voltage of the CMOS battery. If it's not 3.3 volts then replace it.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the 3 volt battery and it is showing 3.08 volts.

I also checked the power supply with a Thermotake psu tester and all voltages show up green= test OK.

I took out HDD, and Optical drive, and monitor, and keyboard and tested them on a known good running windows desktop pc and all worked fine.

The lights on the keyboard should flash on BIOS post but do not as does the optical not run on boot, thus eliminating a boot to a rescue disk or install disk. Same with the USB ports.

The HDD was slaved to another PC and fully readable and looks like the winOS7 is there. I removed the data to another drive while I had it out, just to assure a data backup.

I checked all connectors, to motherboard and devices. I removed the cmos battery for 10 minutes , moved the cmos reset jumper to several possible settings and after each check tried a boot up with no changes.

I totally agree that the change to win10 from 7 and back again should never have affected the cmos, bios but somehow it appears it did.

After the restore to win7 and final boot of the OS I checked and all seemed to be running fine on win7 until I started a reboot after an apparent fail of an install of windows updates on win7 .

From that time on I get nothing but fans running, no HP logo, bios post, keyboard recognition, system beeps, F keys no responce to enter setup, ECT.

This is only a two year old computer that showed no signs of problems prior to the win10 upgrade.

Thanks again for any help you or others may offer.

I just wonder if the motherboard may have just failed during this upgrade process as I cannot find any other problem.

Thanks, Johnboy55

HP Recommended

I ran into almost the same scenerio.. I upgraded to Windows 10 had issues with the USB ports on the front of my machine got the mouse working off the ones in the back.. plugged my Iphone in and got a WDF_Violation looping error... reading some posts they suggested taking out any non critical USB's so removed my printer and now I cannot boot up to even the BIOS.. just get blank screen and hear fans and see lights but nothing....   so removing the CMOS battery did not help?  what else could be the cause.. find it curious that another user had the same basic issue trying to get onto Windows 10....

Any suggestions would be great

HP Recommended

I did go to HP and looked up the proceedure to reset cmos but my jumpers are different than the ones shown for this motherboard.I tried the jumper in several positions each time discharging and power back up with no results.

Removing the battery and discharging the system and then repowering up is supposed to recet cmos to defaults.

it seems that bios cmos is just not there as there is no bios post or any sign that the drives keyboard or mouse are ever seen. The keyboard and mouse are USB so if the ports are the problem then I have no way to get arround this as there is no PS2 ports and I have tried to plug the keyboard into the other USB ports with same results.

Short of replacing the motherboard I don't know what else to try.

I hope someone has some suggestions.

It's hard to believe that Microsoft or HP is not aware that an upgrade and downgrade could cause this. I have upgraded 2 other computers successfully to win10 but not had to downgrade till now.

Still stumped!!!

HP Recommended
I have the same problem, black screen, power light on, usb ports not working.
Was running ok on windows 10 for a fee days. Today everthing froze up and canno restart.
Help
HP Recommended

I had almost the exact same problem, Upgrade from 8.1 to windows 10 on a HP 500-123w  No mouse response or light on mouse,no monitor recognition from video card, removed video card and still no response had to continously reset pc then it would recognize but once turned off . Once i try to reboot gets hung in boot loop. Windows 10 is screwing up pc's and its most likely the UEFI system at fault . Windows Validation or rather wdf violation when trying to uninstall or Recover yeah theres a problem somewhere and They dont want to address the ISSUE.

HP Recommended

HI ,

Did you solved this issue coz today i ran into same issue upgraded my hp touch all in one 23 to windows 10 when i tried to restore bios got corrupted  no usb ports or display working tried all the reset methods jumper reset cmos reset nothing worked ,

Do let me know if you found the way to solve this issue.

thanks.

HP Recommended

Sorry!!!

I wish I could find how to recover the bios but have not been able to.

I priced a new motherboard but that cost is too much so this dead computer still sits in my garage.

I have since upgraded several of my friends computers to win 10 without these problems.

I fully inspected the motherboard and cannot find any other problems like capacitor fatigue.

Wish I could help you further but I cannot.

Good Luck,

John

HP Recommended

I ended up getting a used motherboard and putting win 7 on it and that worked well. I am sad to report though that i somehow must of clicked the win 10 upgrade and woke to find it back on my system.. and 2 days later.. All USB in the front were not working then got th WD_Violation error and eventually went to nothing.. no display or anything same as the first time.. Harddrive became corrupt so thankfully was able to get the data off and moved to a refurb'ed system that had Win 10 on it....   Think there is a big issue with these systems and am pretty annoyed that HP has been no help in trying to resolve it......

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.