Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 550-103na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When turning the computer on I press the power button, the light on the button comes on and the fans etc start for a few seconds. Then all goes completley quiet and the power light goes out. I have to press the power button for a second time to finally start the computer.

It has done this from new.

Kind Regards,

Margaret

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@farmgirl2

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

As I Understand the power button needs pressing twice to turn computer on

Don't worry, this could be resolved by following a few steps:

For issues related to No Power and Troubleshooting Other Power Issues: Click here

Now, it's either the above or simply a case of improper shutdown, here's what I recommend you do:

You can assign the Sleep button to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Turn off the display.

To change what the computer does when you press the power and sleep buttons, do the following:

1. In Windows, search for and open Power Options.

2. In the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do.

3. To change settings for the power button, click the drop-down arrow next to When I press the power button, select the setting you want to use, then click Save changes.

4. To change the sleep settings, click the drop-down arrow next to When I press the sleep button, select the setting you want to use, then click Save changes.

5. Select the power button option and select SHUT DOWN to ensure you are shutting down.

Sleep button options drop-down menu displayed

Keep me posted for further assistance.

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.