Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I tried entering the password you gave me, and now it doesn't even seem to be taking any keyboard inputs. Although I type in the password, nothing registers on the screen and eventually, it starts beeping and then suddenly fills in a string of asterisks in the textbox. 

Any thoughts? I was going to try to pull the green jumper as other people have said, but I am unsure about how to open the case to get to the motherboard, and don't want to break anything. 

HP Recommended

OK, I took the battery out and disconnected the hard drive and then put it back together and powered it back up and entered the password you gave me and Voila! it WORKS!!!!! Yea! Thank you VERY, VERY much for the help!! 

Success!

Thanks, Jeff

HP Recommended

PS: I tried to give Kudos, but it says "Sorry, You can't give Kudos to this post" Don't know what's up with that, but Kudos from me!!

HP Recommended

np just glad you got it to work 🙂

HP Recommended

Same problem, I'm afraid.  In my case, I was trying to put a new disk in an HP Compaq 2710p notebook.  There had been no problem booting before (except for the bad disk), but when I replaced the disk and rebooted, I was locked out with the Power on Password.  After the third try, the error code is just a single character, a symbol, like an 8-pointed asterisk.  To see something like it, enter a closed square bracket "']" or a capital r "R" in Wingdings font (I've tried that in this post, but it doesn't seem to display correctly).  There's no accompanying text or information.  I've tried removing the CMOS battery overnight, to no effect.  In my despair, I found the postings from Maestrorod on this forum, and you've given me a glimmer of hope.  Help?!?  Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

there's no way round this one for me mpm-london...without some sort of code i cant help...

if removing the cmos battery hasnt helped either then this is looking more and more like it needs to go back to a hp repairist.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, but no can do, since this advisory requires running a utility from the command prompt, and with the system as it is, I can't get past the Power On Password.  I could send it back to HP repair, but what could they do other than replace the motherboard?  If that's what we're looking at, the game's probably not worth the candle. 

You get the kudos, for the quick response and evident concern and willingness to help. Frustrated, but grateful for the concern and effort.  Cheers.

HP Recommended

is it still under warranty??? if so send it back should be repaired under warranty i would have thought

HP Recommended

hey maestrorod can you please help me with the power on passwrod for my computer its a hp g71

I get the code

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.