Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello - I have an HP Envy 700-047c. It came with a 2 TB HD. I put in another 2 TB HD same model/type. The system in the BIOS and Windows 8 sees the new drive. However, when I boot and go into F10 BIOS/HP Setup utility, go to Storage menu, select Storage Options, my only option is SATA Emulation and the only 2 select options it shows are AHCI and IDE. This is where I should see RAID option - it is not there.

I tried changing SATA ports on the motherboard - no help.

I tried disabling Secure Boot and UEFI and chose Legacy - no help.

I updated to latest BIOS for this PC - no help.

I installed Intel Rapid Storage Technology software and can see the 2 drives within Windows but there is no create option on the Status page like there should be (because you need to enable RAID in the BIOS which the option is missing).

I looked on the motherboard and don't see any jumpers that are labeled RAID (ie. some physical trip).

I called Intel and they confirmed the Intel chipset I have is RAID capable but to contact HP to see if they turned off. I contacted HP and twice they said they are not trained in RAID and do not support it. I contacted the local Microcenter tech support and they found a link on this website talking about how to go to the area I'm in - but the RAID option is not there.

Does anyone know how to get RAID enabled on this HP 700-047c in the BIOS/Setup utility? Help!

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

I did review the Storage settings in the BIOS and I didn't find a RAID support setting.

The H61 chipset does support RAID depending on the chipset SKU. It appears that HP did not incorporate the H61 that supports RAID into your PC or has disabled RAID support in the BIOS.  The other possibility is a BIOS bug.

There is a BIOS update posted for your PC but I don't think that it will enable RAID.

I'll tap HP on the shoulder and see if RAID is supported or if there is a BIOS bug.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Thanks Big_Dave - I appreciate the research. I did do the BIOS update to latest version 8.17 now (was at 8.15) - didn't help as you thought. That was my conclusion as well that they turned RAID option off - which is mind boggling why they would do that. There are extra bays, and plenty of power to run 2 more drives in there so it's not a power issue why they'd disable it. Is there a way to re-enable it perchance? Maybe when you tap the HP guys they might tell you...?? fingers crossed. Otherwise I'll have to return the PC (have to have the redundant system drive - have been burned in the past).

HP Recommended

Hi,

HP does have a 21 day return policy.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Yes thanks - I'm only 1 week in and will be returning it tomorrow if I don't get any way to enable the BIOS. Looking at Dell and Lenovo brands now. If you get any good news from HP please let me know.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Be patient if you can.  HP will have to research your issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @rvvv ,

I have sent your issue to be reviewed and do check your private message for a HP employee to reach out to you.

Best,

Russ

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

UPDATE BY ORIGINAL POSTER TO BELOW - The below is not accurate about RAID being disabled on "All" HP home line computers per research from Big_Dave (Thanks!) - It is what I was told by the HP Escalation Team Friday however - not just my MB but all - which we are seeing is not correct per the customizable Envy model in the following post. It may just be certain models or just my current model's MB...?? I struck thru some of the detail, but leaving it mostly intact so others can see the misinformation I was given.

Thanks for passing along. Below is what I found out about how RAID is disabled by HP now.

I also had an email going back and forth with HP support and they sent to HP Escalation team who I ended up talking with yesterday who researched it for a day and found out that HP has disabled RAID on the motherboard for all of their home PC line! As we were thinking above. Only servers can do RAID now is the word.  Hard to believe they'd do that. The rep said he believed it had to do with people calling HP when they lost data due to setting up using RAID 0 and thinking that protected them (all it does is make a big disk, no redundancy like RAID 1). 

To me that is no reason to turn off a feature of the Intel chipset. They also don't make this clear to any HP employee as no one I've talked to (3 now along with chat and email) knew that HP is crippling the capabilities of the MB and chipset. I even have a several year old HP Pavilion that has RAID enabled on it under my desk and has saved me twice from disk failure (running RAID 1 mirroring). 

I'm pretty disappointed with HP decision to do this and that it's poorly recorded (in fact not recorded at all)  it so that I wasted hours upon days trying to figure it out with tech support people. If HP wants to remove a much needed service such as RAID it should be mandatory for them to disclaim that right in the Specfications sheet. RAID IS DISABLED AND CANNOT BE TURNED ON ON ANY HP HOME CONSUMER COMPUTER.

Note: I even called AMI (American Megatrend, Inc.) with HP on the line who said they sold the MB to HP fully capable of RAID which is what led the escalation rep to research to whomever he talked to and found out HP is disabling it out the door to their unaware consumers.

I also asked if HP tech team disabled it, would they be willing to send me a BIOS flash to re-enable it - ie. make that an option for those who are knowledgeable about RAID and can setup. The response was they probably won't. I pressed a little but didn't get anywhere - seems like a reasonable request to me/option to keep people happy.

Luckily I'm within my return window and will be taking this computer back. Sad considering how much time I've put into it thinking I had a computer capable to do what I need.

Anyway - please help spread the word so HP can get this into their knowledge DB and boards that RAID is GONE - removed purposefully by HP.

HP Recommended

Hi rvvv,

Your information about HP disabling all RAID configurations for consumers PCs is incorrect. Perhaps for your model with the Joshua motherboard but not for all consumer models.  If you go to the HP Store and look at the Envy Phoenix 810-150se you will see that RAID 1 or RAID 5 can be configured.  There are other HP models that also can be configured with RAID.

HP Recommended

Wow - I do see that RAID is available as an option for that model - and from the Home & Home office store!

I literally have no explanation why I was told that none of the home PCs would have RAID capability and that it was removed when clearly that is not true thanks to your research. I had utterly believed what I was told (after all it was 24 hours of research on the HP escalation team side).

I am SO glad that HP has not disabled RAID on all the home line of computers. I'm still sad about all the time I've spent on this model which should be clearly labled as not RAID capable/RAID disabled and the fact that this other model is more than double what I paid for this one. And I'm confused about the misinformation that was given to the HP Escalation rep and further relayed onto me. Gives me a little hope back for HP, yet the misinformation bugs me.

Thanks again Big_Dave - you should work for HP if you don't already - and if you do, you deserve a raise.

Will have to think about what to do next.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.