Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Slimline s5780t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Gang.

I have the above-listed model which I inherited from a friend who replaced it with a newer model. It came with Windows 7, but he upgraded to 10 before replacing it. Since I've had it, I've had an occasional problem with the display not recovering from the screen-saver after being idle for a while. It only happened once or twice, but I updated the video drivers and it seemed to be fine after that.

However, something bigger happened yesterday. While watching a video on Youtube, the video seemed to get stuck in mid-play, and the entire computer was frozen. The mouse and keyboard were both unresponsive and I couldn't even login remotely to shut it down. I had no choice but to do a hard reboot, which I did. When I turned it back on, The power button flashed amber and I heard a series of long beeps that repeated. I tried pulling the power cord, holding the power button down for 10 seconds, and tried again, but same problem. I eventually left it off for about an hour, tried again, and it worked. It's been working fine all day now, but clearly there's a problem.

Can anyone advise what specifically these symptoms point to? Drive? Motherboard? Etc.? I have no problem restoring back to Windows 7 if necessary,  but I'm thinking those beeps at power-up point to a hardware issue.

Thank you in advance for any input.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello GTifeld

What is beep cadence? Here is HP Support information on beep error codes.

Motherboard is maybe good if you get beep error. 

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi Grzy. Thank you for your response.

I realized after the fact that I should have paid closer attention to the exact nature of the beeps. I will keep the link you gave me to refer to should it re-occur.

Thanks again. 

Regards,

--- Gary

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.