Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy h9-1355
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC started taking 10 minutes to boot!  It normally took a couple of minutes even after reinstalling Windows 10.  I've tried about everything it seems but after reading a blog among the many, I realized that the Sandisk U100 SSD was not showing up in the BIOS or in the OS.  Today I removed the SSD and "presto", it takes about 30 seconds to boot the PC!  I've since swapped the order of the HDD and SSD, I've removed the HDD, swapped power connections...none of this resulted in the SSD being detected.  Any thoughts or suggesions on what I should do next?  If I purchase another SSD I've no idea what to do with it.  HELP ;-)...Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@utdetorres

According to this HP product specs information, your SSD is a 16GB cache drive:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03534739

My own PERSONAL view on this is that since the PC comes with 12GB of memory, you don't need a cache drive for performance.

Others may disagree with me on this, but if it were my PC, I would simply not bother about the failed drive and be glad the PC is booting quickly now.

You could certainly buy a replacement SSD, but I have no idea how you would go about preparing it to be used as a cache drive.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you WAWood.  Yes, it appears I don't really need the disk caching SSD but...I'm curious how I would go about configuring a new SSD cache drive replacement in this system.  Does anyone have any info or can they point me to documentation that would help me achieve this?  Thanks!!!

HP Recommended

> Any thoughts or suggesions on what I should do next? 

Try to connect it as a "slave" disk-drive in another computer.

If it is not detected by that computer, one must conclude that it has "failed".

As the Other Person indicated, your options are either to replace it, or to live without it.

As a guess, if you do replace it, the BIOS on your computer will recognize it, and will configure it as the "cache" drive.

Or, you can enter BIOS SETUP, and "tell" the BIOS that is to be configured as a cache drive.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.