Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP420Z

I have just resently purchase a  HP Z420 liquid cooled with a 2.20GHz E5-2660 Quadro 2000 from zBay.

The workstation came with no HDs, I was doing a little searching for HDs and ran across a HP Z420 pdf.

In the pdf it states that I can use certain drives only, is this true?

Pretty sure I have 3 SATA connection's, well 6 in total I guess, 3 data and  3?.

I was thinking on buying seegayt SSHD 1tb just to start out with, can anyone tell me if that will be compatible?

I will be installing W7 with a flash drive, from what I understand that is the only way it can be done.

Thank you very much for any advise you can pass my way.

It is my hope that I didn't get in over my head with this workstation.LOL

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Product Number E3F75EC#ABA

HP Recommended

@42OZ wrote:

I have just resently purchase a  HP Z420 liquid cooled with a 2.20GHz E5-2660 Quadro 2000 from zBay.

The workstation came with no HDs, I was doing a little searching for HDs and ran across a HP Z420 pdf.

In the pdf it states that I can use certain drives only, is this true?

Pretty sure I have 3 SATA connection's, well 6 in total I guess, 3 data and  3?.

I was thinking on buying seegayt SSHD 1tb just to start out with, can anyone tell me if that will be compatible?

I will be installing W7 with a flash drive, from what I understand that is the only way it can be done.

Thank you very much for any advise you can pass my way.

It is my hope that I didn't get in over my head with this workstation.LOL

A SATA drive is a SATA drive - yes it will be compatible. On the SATA side you have 2x SATA3 connectors and 4x SATA2 connectors.

I would say definietly get a SSD for your OS, either a SATA one or if funds permit something like the Samsung 960 Evo.

The Seagate drive would be fine as a data drive, FYI I am using a 1TB WD Blue drive for data and for a mechanical drive the performance is pretty good.

SATA SSDs will benefit when plugged into the SATA3 ports.

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Question, what format options do i have , can I install M.2, mSATA, what is the best way to to go?

I don't see a slot for M.2, would I need a Pcie adapter card for that?

I have a Quardro 2000 in it now, I was contemplating adding another one, (worth while?) and would that not be possible if I used a Pcie adapter card for ssd M.2 EVO?

HP Recommended

@42OZ wrote:

Hey, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Question, what format options do i have , can I install M.2, mSATA, what is the best way to to go?

I don't see a slot for M.2, would I need a Pcie adapter card for that?

I have a Quardro 2000 in it now, I was contemplating adding another one, (worth while?) and would that not be possible if I used a Pcie adapter card for ssd M.2 EVO?

Yes, you would need a m2 to PCIe adapter for the m.2 drive.

If you put this in slot 4 you would still have room in slot 2 and 5 for two double width GPU's - just make sure whatever cards you are getting are certified to work in SLI on the machine.

HP Recommended

OK, so, I have limited funds, I don't think I can purchasee a 960 EVO NVME at this time.

I see the 951, for a little less cash , but looks like installing it PCIE in win7 sp1 is a nightmare.

So, I'm wondering if it would be less complex to use just a Old school SSD SATA 3 drive, or will that be a headache also.

No matter what drive I use it will be light years faster then my, T5400. The most demanding programs I run are smithmicro, MOHO 12, Hitflim 3, the T5400 handels them pretty well.

So, I guess, all I can do, is ask for more sugestions.

I'm looking at a  Micron/HP M500 256GB Solid State Drive SSD, 2.5", SATA III?

Will the Z420 reconise the micron as a boot drive?

If not, where do I get a list?

Thanks

HP Recommended

the only difference between a standard SATA SSD and the HP M500 is the firmware.

Part numbers are A3D26AA or A3D26AT.

To make the drive bootable you need to perform a clean install of Windows 7.

HP Recommended

Ok, excuse me for having to ask, but , does that mean, I should buy the one with firmware already on it, or, that I can buy any SSD, and download the firmware to it?

HP Recommended

Correct...even if I buy an SSD with the firmware, it wont do me anygood, because, the Z420, did not support Win 7 pro 64bit?

HP Recommended

The Micron M500 with 256 GB capacity is afaik an OEM product.

I think you should buy the HP SSD kit.

It contains not only the drive but also a toolless 3,5" adapter and a high quality SATA cable.

As already mentioned, the disk has a proprietary HP firmware which is optimized for the Z series Workstations.

Your workstation supports Windows 7, here's a link.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.