Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Slimline 260-p026 Energy Star
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Father-in-law purchased a Slimline running an i3 with 8gb of ram, and doesn't like the boot speed or performance. He's looking to upgrade and is interested in a faster processor. I found the spec sheets and noted what processors are compatible; it looks like the liste i7 would be the i7-6700t. Here is the problem; based upon my research it appears that the 6700t is a low power consumption model manufactured for Brand Names (Dell, HP, etc.) and is not readily available to consumers directly. I have found a few used online, but he's the kind of guy that wants new stuff. I noted this MoBo uses a LGA 1151 socket. My question is, will other 1151 CPU's work with this MoBo, despite the 6700T being the only i7 compatible processor listed? Or am I stuck with the 6700T? In particular I'm looking at the i7-6700k, or maybe an i7-7700 if he's willing to spend the extra cash.

Spec Sheet from HP: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Slimline-260-p000-Desktop-PC-series/10734583/model/11715680/d...

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

To earn "Energy Star" stickers, all vendors must follow the rules for each line of products (from a light bulb to a computer ....) In this case, the BIOS may only allow to use lower energy CPU's. Amazon sells it:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-6700T-DESKTOP-processor-CM8066201920202/dp/B01AASS99U

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Based upon the product specifications, the motherboard supports only CPUs rated at TDP 35W.   Intel i7-6700K operates between 49 - 133W.  It is unlikely that the motherboard can support i7-6700K CPU.  Though i7-7700K mounts with LGA1151, the design is unlikely to operate on the motherboard.

K CPUs operate optimally for selected specialized applications that require heavier processing, like gaming and graphics rendering.  Unless, your Father-in-law performs such tasks, else there is no critical need to spend more money on K CPUs.  T CPU should be ample.

In order to avoid incompatibility, please try to adhere to the product specifications.

* If my post helped, please click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks.

* If my post solved your problem, please mark Accept As Solution.

* Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

I am an HP employee. Superbaby is always here to help.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.