Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There are no beeps, the hard drive sounds like it spins and the fan spins.  I've tried replacing the motherboard but the screen remains black.  Windows 7 OS.

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

WOW!!!!

You replaced the motherboard!?! That is a tough thing to do.

What it the same issue as before? No video? What did you do to narrow it down to the Motherboard? that will help me from asking you to do things you already did... but

I would re-check all connections, you may have missed something when connecting everything back up.

Here is a link to the motherboard, and if you scroll down you'll see all the connectors :

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02558647

other than that... wow... I'm impressed.

bill

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

First off, I'm getting this information about the motherboard second hand.  Someone else tore it apart and told me it was the MB so I took them at their word.  I looks like the only connection I don't have hooked up is the ODD Connector.  But there doesn't seem to be any connector there.  I also saw on the link about clearing the CMOS and Password reset.  I did take the battery out but didn't change the jumpers.

HP Recommended

Hmmmm - this is sounding a little odd...did you replace the motherboard or did the person who said it was the motherboard replace the motherboard? Possibilities on this one are endless - you may want to talk to a support person,

but...

if it is the same issue and you hear the fan and HDD going, it could be a bad motherboard, but I really doubt it. The video on that MB is built in, so it might be that component, but if the HDD is spinning and the fan is blowing air I would actually question how they figured it was the MB. We have light codes on the power button for issues related to no display, so is the light on steady? Or is there a flashing sequence?

you may also try shining a light on the screen - if you see your desktop, it could be the lamp on the LCD has gone out.

bill

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

I replaced the MB.  I ordered the exact MB that was originally installed.  Same thing happened.  Fan worked, HDD spun, CD drive spun.  I even cloned my hard drive and replaced the original drive - same thing.  I was even told by a "reputable" tech shop that is was the MB.  I tried the flashlight on the screen and nothing showed up. The power light is steady on.

HP Recommended

my only other guess -

Bad display.

sorry I can't think of anything else.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

I will try to add some thoughts/suggestsions.

The post subject heading says, "...black screen after starting."

1. Does this mean you do see the startup screen?

2. What do you see before the screen goes black?

3. Does the light on the bottom of the mouse light up?
4. Can you press the "caps lock" and/or "num lk" buttons on & off to see if there is any LED activity?

These steps may help check if the computer is responding or it is a hardware issue.

Vin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an HP employee but not speaking on behalf of HP

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended
There is no startup screen. It stays black. No lights on either the mouse or keyboard either
HP Recommended

Hello KL61. Do you still require assistance with your issue? If so, I might be able to help. Can you follow the troubleshooting posted in the link below and see what happens? Let me know as soon as possible.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t15335065-black_screen_hp_touchsmart_310_1020

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.