Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 14-r113TU Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have disabled the secure boot option and enabled the Legacy boot option which allows me to boot from USB stick. However, UEFI takes precendence over Legacy boot and I don't want that. For a little school project that we are running we want to run the educational OS Sugar on Stick(on a USB stick) to run straight from the stick instead of kids pressing 3-4 different buttons to get to that. 

In short, I want to change boot priority from UEFI first to Legacy. Let me know how to do it? Whether its possible or not? If not, then I don't need these 4 laptops that I ordered and I will return the laptops.

Thanks a lot in advance.

-Ritesh

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Follow these instruction on how to properly disable secure boot:

http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03653226

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
HP Recommended

Like I have mentioned in my original message, I have disabled the secure boot option. Your reply hasn't solve anything. Let me rephrase/rewrite my problem.

I need Legacy boot order to take precendence over UEFI boot order. I have disabled the secure boot and enabled the Legacy boot, but boot from USB is always the third option as it is a part of Legacy boot order. So, if I can change the priority of Boot orders i.e. Legacy first and then UEFI, then I should be able to solve the problem. So,

can you please help me with changing the priority.

Thanks,

Ritesh

HP Recommended

In the link that NuCCII posted, scroll down to

Disabling Secure Boot on notebook computers with Windows 8

Follow all the steps to the end.

This is the last step before it reboots -

The Computer Setup Utility closes and the computer restarts. When the computer has restarted, the Operating System Boot Mode Change screen appears, prompting you to confirm the Boot Options change. Type the code shown on the screen, then press Enter to confirm the change and continue to Windows.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have already comeplted all these steps and entered the 4 digit code and enabled the legacy boot. However, all I am trying to say is that, UEFI boot order takes priority over Legacy Boot Order. I want it other way. I want Legacy Boot Order to take priority over UEFI boot order.

Do you know how to achieve that? I understand this is volunteer run community, but don't assume that the person hasn't completed the steps. I really appreciate the help, but please read my original text and replies.

Thanks in advance!

-Ritesh

HP Recommended

I will give it a try on my HP laptop just to see if it will do as you wish.  Is this what you are looking to use?

https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads

And did you folow one of those instrctions?  If yes, please indicate which one, so I can duplicate the process you used.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have made 12-13 usb sticks and they work fine on all the laptops where there is no UEFI partition. I created it using Lili USB maker. HOwever, on the old laptops since there is no UEFI boot option, so it goes straight to legacy boot order and there I have USB as my first booting option. All my sticks are 32 bit version.

My problem is not that its not booting from these newer laptops, its just that UEFI boot order is always taking me to Windows first unless I press f9 and load the boot options and select USB to boot from.

I want to skip all these intermediate steps i.e. UEFI booting into Windows, then I press and manually elect USB. I want my system to boot straight from USB, so that kids when they come plug in their USBs then it loads SugarLabs straight. Instead of them doing all these steps.

Let me know if you can help with that.

Thanks,

Ritesh

HP Recommended

I tried what you are asking but found no way to make it go to the alternate boot without at least pressing Esc, then F9 and picking the USB.  Unless the hard drive is removed, I see no other way.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I was thinking to delete the "protected" EFI partition, but I am not an expert on that front, so I'll move with caution.

I know it will not load my windows and space will be wasted and so on so forth, but UEFI should not be forced like this. It is for customer's convinient and a standard, but manufacturers have started making it a rule. 

My problem still remains unsolved, because I reached the same conclusion. Also, its just f9 and selecting the USB. No need to press ESC. Regardless, thanks all the same. 

Regards,

Ritesh

HP Recommended

Until HP comes out with a different UEFI / Bios Firmware (Which I doubt that they will do) You may be able to Do it by Redoing the partitions using legacy partitions and MBR instead of UEFI and GPT partitions, but you would have to use legacy windows (windows 7) not windows 8 or 10 UNless there is a legacy version. I feel your pain.

Mel

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.