Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion 500-214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Looking to upgrade CPU on F3D65AAR#ABA Pavilion 500-214. Currently have AMD A8-6500, 16Gb ram and SSD (with original HDD as file storage). Motherboard is 2AEo 1.0 with Bios of 80.46 

Someone recommended that I look at the AMD A10-7890K or the AMD A10-7870K   for upgrade options.

Will either of these work in this motherboard and with this BIOS level?   Is there an upgrade to BIOS available?
is there a recommended CPU from this forum group?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Review this list for AMD processor upgrades.  The AMD A10-7xxx series processors are not listed.

I don't see a BIOS upgrade listed under your particular model.

The FM2 socket doesn't show support for the AMD A10-7xxx series processors according to non-AMD published information.

Your existing processor has reasonable performance. You can use the W10 performance monitor to determine if your applications are CPU constrained.  If not, then perhaps a better graphics card and/or SSD would give your PC a performance jump.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Big Dave - thanks for the feedback. I did increase memory (16GB) and added an SSD for the OS partition and the main disk is now for storage.  Since I upgraded the memory and swapped to an SSD and i have been using this as my main computer, I've noticed that web pages load slowly. In watching performance monitor, memory, disk and network are not showing any unusual activity spikes but the CPU is showing high spikes especially when I have several browser tabs open. I'm not sure if it is just the CPU or if it is the embedded graphics. Is there an easy well to tell CPU vs Graphics?
can I add an improved Graphics card without swapping motherboard or power?
I'll check out the supported CPU list and see if I can find one online.
I am using this PC mainly for basic home applications (Thunderbird email, firefox and chrome web browsers) and open office.
Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Use the W10 resource monitor, look under the memory tab and check to be sure that 16 GB is installed.

You might give GPU-Z a try for monitoring graphics performance. It may or may not work with the AMD built in graphics processor.

You can certainly add a graphics card.  A discrete graphics card will offload graphics processing overhead from the CPU. You need a graphics card that will work with the 300 watt power supply in your PC. The NVIDIA GTX 750 would be a good choice. Look for the GTX 750 without the auxillary PCIe 6 pin power connector.  This EVGA GTX 750TI SC should work.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.