Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 550-252na Desktop

Hello, 

Would I be able to upgrade my PC (HP Pavilion 550-252na Desktop) with a gtx(1050)? I understand i'd need a new PSU, but other than that it seems fine to me.

I'm slightly unsure about the space I'd have inside the case as I don't want to open up my PC and potencially void my warrenty for no reason. If the case is too small would I be able to transfer everything into a new case?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Luke19,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you are planning to upgrade the graphics card on your HP Pavilion Desktop PC and you would like to know if this possible or not. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

I did go through the specifications of the graphics card GTX 1050, using this link and found that this one would not be compatible with your PC.

1 - Windows 10 requires November 2015 update or newer.

2 - 7680x4320 at 60Hz RGB 8-bit with dual DisplayPort connectors or 7680x4320 at 60 Hz YUV420 8-bit with on DisplayPort 1.3 connector.

3 - DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready

4 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2 GHz processor. The pre-built system may require less power depending on system configuration.

Please go through the product specifications of your product.

I hope this answers your questions, let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

What are the specifications of a GPU I should be looking for so it's compatible? Why was the previous GPU I mentioned (gtx1050) incompatible? 

HP Recommended

Hi @Luke19,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts.

I would suggest here is to stick to the Product specifications of your PC. However, here is the Motherboard specifications of your product, so if you wish to upgrade you can check the expansion slots available on your PC.

Product Specifications of your product - Click here

Motherboard Specifications = Click here

Note: HP Does not recommend any upgrade or downgrade of any parts, however, you can do it at your own discretion.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Luke

Your PC has a 180 watt power supply (PS). The 1050 requires a minimum 300 watt PS.

There are no factory seals on the side panel that would indicate you have modified the factory hardware. I have upgraded many HP PC's and have used warranty when needed. Just keep the factory components as you will need to reinstall them if you require service.

Be advised HP recovery software will no longer work after installing the GTX 1050 unless it was an option at purchase. There are ways to avoid this pitfall.

You have to measure the existing power supply and the length along the only PCIe x16  slot to see if the new power supply and GTX will fit. The 1050 is about six inches long. It is also a double slot card. You should have space to install the card.

Transferring the hardware to a different chassis is an option. I would not go to that extreme. You would have to move all components back to the HP chassis if you needed warranty service.

Grzy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.