Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My M8400f has 3 partitions (?) or disk drives (?).. I am assuming the 1 is for all the functions of the computer, the 2nd is my C drive then there is the 3rd which is 335gb that is empty. My C is almost full it has only 5g left available. I went in and made the E accessable but will that start to take up where the C leaves off when it is completely full or do I need to do something else first to make it usable?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

JeepGurl2004 wrote: My M8400f has 3 partitions (?) or disk drives (?).. I am assuming the 1 is for all the functions of the computer, the 2nd is my C drive then there is the 3rd which is 335gb that is empty. My C is almost full it has only 5g left available. I went in and made the E accessable but will that start to take up where the C leaves off when it is completely full or do I need to do something else first to make it usable?

Hello JeepGurl2004, Can you advise the version of the operating system. If you have Windows 7, you should have a 100 MB partition at the first part of the hard drive. You should have the C: partition and then the 😧 HP Recovery Restore partition. The 😧 partition is only about 10-15 GBs in capacity depending on the amount of data that was shipped on the system.

I'm not quite sure why you have the E: partition. If the C: partition starts to get full, you would start getting warnings about this.

If you have no data on the E: partition, you may be able to delete this partition and expand the C: partition to include the capacity of this E: partition. I notice you did not mention the 😧 partition.

Just need a little more information on how your system hard drive is configured.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello!

Ok When I bought the sytem new it was said to have a "quad core".. it is the HP Pavilion Media Center M8400f. It came loaded Vista but I have since loaded it with Windows 7. Under the "computer" screen it has a picture of 3 hard drives... the first is "Factory Image D" which has 1.26gb free of 9.30gb, then there is a picture of another drive and it says "Hard disk C" and has 8.42gb free of 326gb and lastly it pictures another and says "New Volume E" which contains 335gb free of 335gb. I do not know if they are partitions, that was an uneducated guess.

Let me know what else you may need for info... and thanks in advance

Jeep :generic: 

HP Recommended

JeepGurl2004 wrote: Hello! Ok When I bought the sytem new it was said to have a "quad core".. it is the HP Pavilion Media Center M8400f. It came loaded Vista but I have since loaded it with Windows 7. Under the "computer" screen it has a picture of 3 hard drives... the first is "Factory Image D" which has 1.26gb free of 9.30gb, then there is a picture of another drive and it says "Hard disk C" and has 8.42gb free of 326gb and lastly it pictures another and says "New Volume E" which contains 335gb free of 335gb. I do not know if they are partitions, that was an uneducated guess.

Let me know what else you may need for info... and thanks in advanceJeep :generic: 

Hello JeepGurl2004, This information helps. It appears that the upgrade of Windows 7 went awry somewhat.

It seems to have created the new Volume E:, since it shows it has the same free capacity as the entire partition capacity.

You should be able to retrieve this unused capacity by going to the Control Panel, Administrative Tools Compter Management, Storage, Disk Management, and locate the 335 GB partition and highlight this partition and select to delete this partition.

Once this has been done it should show as unallocated space. Now just highlight the C: partition, right click on this partition and select expand, and expand this partition to the maximum allowed. This should make the C: partition as large as the total of the C: and the now deleted E: partition.

Just close out of these windows, and go to Start, Computer, and in the right pane, look at the new size of the C: partition. It should be the size of the C: and the no longer E: partitions.

Hope this works as described and I have left no steps out.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I followed the steps as described above but when I right clicked on the "C" volume, the "extend" option was greyed out.  Now what do I do?

HP Recommended

JeepGurl2004,

Here are the original factory specs for the HP Pavilion Media Center m8400f Desktop Computer. According to the specs, this model come with two 7200 rpm SATA II 360GB hard drives. This is consistent with the information you have provided. One drive contains the operating system "C:" partition and the HP recovery "D:" partition, while the other drive contains the unused "E:". There is no way to expand/extend the C: drive into the E: drive, as it is not a partition on the same drive but a completely different hard drive.

At this time, options for resolving your issue would include backing-up your personal data to an external drive, recovering your computer to a factory like state and/or re-installing Windows 7, and pointing Windows to your "E:" drive as a data storage drive. You could also install a larger hard drive if needed. 

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

I'm sorry, I'm not the original poster.  I have an HP pavilion entertainment laptop dv9500, s/n:[Personal Information Removed], p/n:GS748UA#ABA

HP Recommended

"dv9500" is the series number and not your computer's model name. Based on the p/n "GS748UA", here are the original factory specs for your HP Pavilion dv9653cl Notebook Computer. According to the specs, this model come with two 2.5" 5400 rpm SATA 160GB hard drives. One drive contains the operating system "C:" partition and the HP recovery "D:" partition, while the other drive contains the unused "E:". There is no way to expand/extend the C: drive into the E: drive, as it is not a partition on the same drive but a completely different hard drive.

The same basic advice in my post above applies to your situation as well.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.