Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p6310f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just did a Clean Instal of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  Startup is 2:30 minutes, is this normal for this pc, and how could I get it to start faster if that is an option?  I used a Retail Disk for the install because the Donator did not have Disks, so there is not junk on it to slow it down.

Cleaned er all out and repasted the CPU.  I did a full scan of the Hardware via HP Diagnostics, Crystal Disk Info and Mark, watching the Temps also an they are all good.  CPU Load seems perfectly fine, ususally sitting in the single digits unless opening a browser, all the normal activity you would see while opening apps.

I suppose the first thing folks will suggest is a BIOS Update?

Here is the Link,  love that HP Supplies us with these nice links.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01949155

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found some success installing drivers, only after running sfc, chkdsk and looking at all the logs.  I knew the Drive was good, just had a feeling after seeing many bad drives, this one did not act bad.

I installed:

1. SATA Hard Disk Drive Firmware Update, this appeared not to install, as it said something about not being compatible with my system.

2. Original NVIDIA Serial ATA Controller Drive, this one seemed to fix the booting issue, but, when this one was done, upon reboot, number one above was asking for a reboot also? weird?

3. Original NVIDIA Graphics Driver: Installed this one also but it looks worse now? but at least the original problem is fixed.

So the HP Support Assistant would have fixed the issue, but don't want all that HP Junk on my computer?

Thanks!

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Greetings @pcpunk

Thanks for the post.

I understand that you are looking to speed up the startup time on your computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help.

Kudos to you for trying a lot of troubleshooting steps on your own. 

Have you used HP Support Assistant? 

Recommend you run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated on your computer. Click here. Only updating BIOS would not help. 

Run an extensive test on your computer. Click here

Disable any startup items that you do not use on startup, using the task manager. 

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Disclaimer: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. You can change the configuration at your own risk.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

>  Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.  Startup is 2:30 minutes, is this normal for this pc,

> I did a full scan of the Hardware via HP Diagnostics,

That definitely is slow.

Have you recently run the Windows "Disk Defragmenter" ?  Don't run it, just yet, even though the disk-drive "passed" the HP Diagnostics test.

Disable any wireless adapter, then shutdown, and disconnect the Ethernet cable, and reboot it.

Without any connection to the Internet, all the programs that try to "call home" will not be able to do so, which should speed-up the reboot process.

> How could I get it to start faster if that is an option?  

How much RAM in the computer?  Speed of the CPU?  Single-core or dual-core?

Do you have a 32GB or 64GB SSD (Solid State Disk) device to spare?

If so, install Windows onto it, to see how fast Windows can boot -- my Windows 7 desktop boots from SSD in much less than one minute.

While it is booting, use CTRL-ALT-DELETE to start the Windows "Task Manager", as soon as Windows will accept these keystrokes.  Click to the "Performance" tab, and watch the graphs as it continues to boot.

HP Recommended

I will get back to this soon guys, and I think I'll provide some more info.  Think the HDD may be some of the problems also, it is a WD Green, and don't think this is the best for a home user?  I will run all the stuff asked asap!

Thanks, pcpunk

HP Recommended

> Think the HDD may be some of the problems

That is why I suggested to run the HP diagnostics.

> also, it is a WD Green, and don't think this is the best for a home user? 

I have the opposite opinion -- their "green" line is targeted for the home user (and their budget), while their "blue" line supposedly is better, but more expensive.

Please post, when you have completed the recommended actions.

HP Recommended

Thre first Three of these Tests you suggest are for UEFI, Windows 8-10, and the last one is just stuff I've already done?  I'm running Windows 7 and No UEFI.

HP Recommended

@Chimney_83 wrote:

Greetings @pcpunk

Thanks for the post.

I understand that you are looking to speed up the startup time on your computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help.

Kudos to you for trying a lot of troubleshooting steps on your own. 

Have you used HP Support Assistant? 

Recommend you run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated on your computer. Click here. Only updating BIOS would not help. 

Run an extensive test on your computer. Click here

Disable any startup items that you do not use on startup, using the task manager. 

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Thre first Three of these Tests you suggest are for UEFI, Windows 8-10, and the last one is just stuff I've already done? I'm running Windows 7 and No UEFI.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen wrote:

That definitely is slow.

> How could I get it to start faster if that is an option?  

How much RAM in the computer?  Speed of the CPU?  Single-core or dual-core?

This was in First post brother

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01949155

WD's Words on the Green:

"WD Green hard drives are designed for use in systems that require cool and quiet operation, as secondary drives in PCs, for external enclosures and other applications for which low noise and low heat are beneficial. These earth-friendly 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch hard drives are ideal for use whenever energy efficiency is needed."

https://www.wdc.com/products/wd-outlet/wd-green.html

HP Recommended

> I suppose the first thing folks will suggest is a BIOS Update?

In my opinion, a BIOS update is the last thing that one should try, because it rarely will fix the most-common problems.

Instead, from a command-line prompt, open the Windows Event Viewer, by typing   EVENTVWR  and pressing ENTER.

Windows does much "self-monitoring", including reporting when reading a specific file takes much longer than expected, i.e., 15 to 150 seconds, and suggests that a specific file has been written to a "bad" spot on the disk-drive, and suggests that the disk-drive be replaced.

Yes, Event Viewer has lots of "events" -- sort the list by "category", e.g., 'performance', to quickly get to those messages related to your disk-drive.

Or ............................

From a command-line prompt,  enter    CHKDSK C: /R    and press ENTER.

Windows may require an immediate reboot, to start this process.

This command checks every disk-block on your disk-drive -- much more intensive that the 'DST' (Disk Drive Short Test).

Any problems reported are "hints" that your disk-drive is beginning to "fail".

HP Recommended

I will try this mdklassen, I appreciate the guidence as I'm still trying to learn to fix these things.  I guess I would have run a WD Diagnostics Test but was thinking the drive was ok because of the HP Tests and Crystal Disk outcome.  I guess we can't go by the Short Tests all the time? 

I've had no luck with Event viewer LOL because I don't know what I'm looking at, but will try it and use your suggestion  "sort the list by "category"" I'm sure there is info there somewhere as I looked at this stuff before and can't believe the amount of info that Windows reports and logs!

Thanks, will be happy to get this thing booting better.  I also don't think it is the HDD, but it was intersting reading about the WD Green articles I found.

pcpunk

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.