Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavillion 23

Hi, I have had my computer for 4-5 years now, dont use it that often so is still in great working order, I always switch it off when im finished with it but in the last 2 weeks or so, ive been getting up in the morning to find that its on, so i switch it off, go to work, but when i get home its switched on again. does anybody know wh ymy computer would all of a sudden start doing this or how to stop it happening?

thank you in advance,

Darren

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Dazzafan,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the computer wakes up from hibernation on its own Don't worry, though, as I have a few steps that should help resolve the issue,

Please follow the below steps:

In the Device Manager window, locate the device you want to prevent from waking your computer. It will have the same name as it does in the output of the powercfg command you just ran. Right-click the device and select “Properties” from the context menu.

On the “Power Management” tab of the device’s properties window, disable the “Allow this device to wake the computer” option and then click “OK.”

While you’ve got Device Manager open, go ahead and disallow any other devices you don’t want waking up your computer. When you’re done, you can exit Device Manager.

Disable Wake Timers and Scheduled Tasks

The another thing that can wake your PC is a scheduled task. Some scheduled tasks—for example, an antivirus app that schedules a scan—can set a wake timer to wake your PC at the specific time to run an app or command. To see a list of wake timers set on your computer, you can use a Command Prompt command. You’ll have to run Command Prompt with administrative privileges for this one. To do so, hit Start, type “command,” and when you see the Command Prompt app, right-click it and choose “Run as administrator.”

In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and then press Enter:

powercfg -waketimers

have one wake timer—a scheduled task set to check whether you have any large files queued for downloading so that you can have the downloading happen when you're not using the PC.

You have to choices for stopping this: you can either disable that specific wake timer or disable all wake timers.

HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 😎 - Click here

Keep me posted,

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, thank u so much for your reply, I haven't yet checked this as I am unable to get to my computer at the moment. It did just want to let u know though that my computer doesn't come out of hibernation, it comes on a few hours after I completely power down.

Thank u,
Darren
HP Recommended

Hi @Dazzafan,

Thanks for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand the computer does not comes out of hibernation. Don't worry as I have a few steps which should help to resolve your concern,

Let's try these steps here:

Disabling hybrid sleep in Windows:

Use the following steps to disable hybrid sleep:

1. In Windows, search for and open Power options.

2. Click Change plan settings for the power plan that is selected.

3. Click Change advanced power settings.

4. Do one of the following options to navigate to the hybrid sleep settings:

5. Clicking the plus sign (+) next to Sleep.

6. Clicking the plus sign (+) next to Allow hybrid sleep, then select Off from the drop-down menu, and then click OK.

Disable hibernation: In the Command Prompt window, type the following command and then press Enter:

1. Press Windows + X keys to open Power menu and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  2. To enable the Hibernate, type command powercfg/h on.
  3. To disable the Hibernate, type command powercfg/h off.

Next thing, that I would suggest here is to check the settings under Device manager for Mouse and Network card

To open Computer Management by using the command line:

Press the Windows key + Letter R to open the Run box, type the following command: mmc devmgmt.msc

On the Device Manager Screen - Scroll down to Mice and other pointing Devices click on the arrow and then Right click on the Name of the device and then click on properties- Now click on Power management Tab - and Remove the check from Allow this device to wake the computer.

Similarly follow the same steps for Network adapters. and make sure that Allow this device to wake the computer is unchecked.

I hope this helps. Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi, thank u for your responses but unfortunately these haven't fixed the problem.

Many thanks
Darren
HP Recommended

Hi @Dazzafan,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would suggest this to be a hardware failure. I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.