cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GRETHEL
Level 1
13 8 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Why won't my monitor connect to new desktop with HDMI cord?

HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750 - 435st DESKTOP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just purchase HP ENVY DESKTOP 750-435 st.  My specs:  I7-6700 Processor, 6th Generation, 16 GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 256 SSD + 2TB HDD storage.   I have a monitor, that I have been using without any issues:  HP Pavillion 25bw.  When I tried to connect the HDMI cable to either HDMI 1, or HDMI 2 port, it would not connect.  The monitor did not receive a signal, and immediately went to Sleep mode.  However, when connecting it to the other HDMI ports, it did.

I am concerned because I want to get the most out of the Graphics card.  Also, the computer came already with a name, which is making me wonder, if this was a return, and the prior person was having the same issue.  This is my third day having this desktop, so I am within the time frame to return it; though I do not want to.  However, I am not a tech savvy person, to be opening computers to fix this issue.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a very expensive computer to work out of the box?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,587 90,464 11,638 24,935
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@GRETHEL

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Your machine has the following ports at its back:

Figure : GeForce 960 ports
  1. DisplayPort: 3
  2. HDMI
  3. DVI-I
and

Figure : Odense2-S back I/O panel
Odense2-S back I/O panel
  1. USB 2.0: 2
  2. LAN (Ethernet)
  3. HDMI
  4. USB 3.0: 2
  5. Audio: Line in
  6. Audio: Line out
  7. Audio: Microphone

Source:  https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c05267115

The first image is for an external card and the second image is for the motherboard which has 2 HDMI ports for the Integrated video. But please note: Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

Therefore you can't use  2 ports of the Integrated card. But you have plenty of DP ports to connect monitors. If your monitor(s) does/do not have DP ports, you can use DP to HDMI cable(s).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
GRETHEL
Author
Level 1
13 8 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So I  believe then that I connected it correctly.  I thought that I needed to use what is on figure 2, and connect the HDMI cable on either port that is labeled HDMI 1 or HDMI 2.  It added to confussion because it was labeled, and for a non techie person, it threw me off.

Can you tell me, if the computer was named when I got it, is is safe to presume that it was a returned PC?  As long as it all working, I am ok with it.  It came with a nick already, but is small and I can leave with that.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation