Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavillion Elite HPE
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

This is a continuation of this post below.  For some reason all the "reply" buttons dissapeared from that post.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/win-7-iso-download-vicious-circ...

My hard drive failed so I am starting fresh on a new one.  Win 10 ISO will not fit on a 4.7Gb DVD even though it is 4.6Gb. So I tried a USB.  But the BIOS selections do not have a USB option for boot priority.  I tried all 4 selections as the first priority and the USB never booted.  So I decided to try Win 7 on a DVD.  Well Microsoft is telling me I have to get it from HP.  Went to the HP web site and entered the info in the suggested page (HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads).  Every driver and software tool is available except the actual OS.  Can someone either tell me how I can get Win 10 on my desktop or where I can download the Win 7 ISO legally.  Thanks for your help in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jmoulton

You mentioned the Win10 ISO being too large for a DVD -- that is because the default download, using the MS Win10 Media Creation Tool, contains both Home and Pro versions.

I believe that if you select ONLY the Home or the Pro version, you can get the ISO small enough to fit on a DVD.

Sorry, I don't have the time right now to check this out, but it's worth trying.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Finally got Win 10 installed.  I was not able to download just the home version.  Windows would not let me.  I did figure out how to get my USB to be the first boot priority though.  Since it was not in the boot priority list I had to enable it to be part of the list.  Thanks for all the help.  My new hard drive (refurbed) did need to be formatted though and I used DBAN for that.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.