Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1254
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I installed  a fresh copy of W10 on my desktop. Since then, when i shut down, the pC won't power down. I have to perform a hard power down by holding the power button for a few seconds. 

Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem?

Thank You Carmelo

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@CarmeloL,

How long did you wait?

Here is a guide, if you find a solution (many steps), let the forum know which worked.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have waited for half a day and would not power down. Eventually, I did manual power down. I'ld like it if it was automatic.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi,

I do not see the guide that was mentioned.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@CarmeloL,

Here is the guide.  Sorry about that.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried all the steps with no luck.

Just for more information. I installed a fresh copy of W10 on a new Samsung SSD drive. The desk top PC is a HP pavillion p7-1254.

my HP support assitant says that my machine is up to date. 

Thank you

HP Recommended

@CarmeloL,

Does the original hard drive boot and shutdown?  Were you able to install all the HP drivers onto the SSD?

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Hi,

Powerdown worked fine with the old hard drive and W10. HP Support Assistance states that there are no updates and when I try to download drivers for thsi PC, the option to select W10 is not available only for W7 and W8.

If you could point me to the required drivers to install, that would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Carmelo

HP Recommended

@CarmeloL,

If the old drive is still 100% intact, and the used portion is smaller than your new SSD, you could migrate it using Macrium Reflect.   Please read the following:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2322918/cloning-larger-hdd-smaller-ssd.html

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Installing-SSD-into-HP-Pavilion...

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the lead. I have everything running on the SSD, is there a way to just obtain the fresh drivers for the PC for w10 to resolve this? That would be much easier for me than the process described in the link. Everything is working fine with SSD and have everything installed.

thank you!

Carmelo 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.