Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
JohnnyPham, when you would turn on your computer would you see the HP logo or was it all black?
HP Recommended
Oh and to clarify, you still have to call HP to have them send you a box to deliver your computer in. I just meant that they will try to fix your computer over the phone which will not work so just tell them that there's a driver problem and send it to them.
HP Recommended
@johnnygyro, Well why would I write this on the HP forum if it wasn't an HP computer. jkjk, Of course there's an HP logo on the back.
HP Recommended
Scratch that, Johnnygyro, I read it wrong. No, it's just a black screen.
HP Recommended

There are a few with this same issue posted in the forums and this seems to be the only one where someone has found some sort of answer.  Was your pc still under warrenty?  There are a few having this issue that the warrenty is no longer valid (I being one of them). 

HP Recommended
Yea, Mine was out of warranty as well. Shippibg it to India cost about $300 for me.
HP Recommended

My recovery disks arrived today, but weren't the magic bullet that I hoped for. I still get just a blank screen. So it looks as though I will have to try the joys of HP's welpdesk again, and try and persuade them that someone needs to look at it.

HP Recommended

Dang... Hoping someone gets a flipping answer.

HP Recommended

Ok, so I still don't have a solution but I feel like I'm getting closer. Please bear with me as this is going to be a long message but I think worthwhile.

Went to Best Buy and bought 2 hard drives, solid state and regular. Reformatted old drive so that only the recovery partition was left. After reformatting, still had same issue. Plugged in new solid state drive, still had same issue. 

Bought new video card, 7650A, refurbished motherboard, 696484-001, and inverter card. Replaced inverter card for $9 bucks, nothing, same issue. Replace video card, nothing same issue. This was all done in the old system so as I plugged and played and nothing happened, I would replace the old card so I can. Return all the new things I bought.

I replaced the motherboard while using all the old cards and sure enough it booted and showed the hp logo. At this point I had the old hard drive in with the recovery partition. It started cycling through the same crap of hp logo, Windows preparing automatic repair, we'd-violation, restart. I was going out to dinner so I did a hard shut down. Left it for this morning unplugged, go to turn it on and nothing again. I'm in the same boat I was in before. 

I'm thinking there has to be a way to factory reset the motherboard other than cmos which I've tried multiple times. Removed the watch battery, tested the power adapter (putting out 19.6v even though it is supposed to be 19.5). Does anyone know the right process to reset the motherboard? I'm so tired of this crap. Where is the HP rep to step in here and support?

HP Recommended

Just wanted to give a heads up. My HP Envy 20 just did the same thing tonight. The last update was the November Update.  It sounds like this issues is costing a lot of people a lot of money.  This may just end up being a class action lawsuit at some point.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.