Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-170se CT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After me attempting to install the Windows 10 Creator update, my MBR had some how got corrupted after the PC had tried to revert to a prior verison of windows. Although trying to somehow get Windows back via the HP recovery, I had realized that I apparently had not had it updated, so I couldn't have used the reset your PC. So then I tried to reinstal via a Windows 10 dvd, I had deleted the personal files/Windows partiton, but then had to leave the install. When I came back to try to install, I had seen that it was asking for drivers to install. I have the storage/chipset drivers on a USB and tried to install, but to no avail. I am trying to install via a DVD/CD drive. Thank you if anyone has an idea of what I can do or think that I can do to remedy this situation!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

> I have the storage/chipset drivers on a USB and tried to install, but to no avail.

What did you do?

What did you expect to happen?

What happened?

Could the files on the USB memory-stick be read?

Any error-messages while trying to install?

HP Recommended

I agree, I use USB drives for all of my installs so give it a bash.

HP Recommended

What I was trying to do was use the drivers for the Windows install, the onscreen message was stating that I needed driver for the install (on the screen where partitioning would normally be).

What I expected to happen was that the drivers would be accepted, and so I would be able to install Windows like normal, with partitoning and etc.

What happened was that is said (from what I remembered) was to the effect that there was no drivers found that can be used, just stating that those drivers weren't the ones needed.

Yeah, the files on the USB could be read, I had it on another computer

Not really, this is the only problem that I have ever had with this install so far

Also Ill try to install via a usb instead.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

> What I was trying to do was use the drivers for the Windows install,

> the onscreen message was stating that I needed driver for the install (on the screen where partitioning would normally be).

> What I expected to happen was that the drivers would be accepted.

Am I correct in guessing that the Windows installer was showing you an "empty" list of "target" disk-drives, rather than showing you that your current disk-drive was a "target" ?

At that point, you need to supply a device-driver for your disk-drive, by pointing to the USB drive, and pointing at the folder that would contain the device-drivers.

Hopefully, your USB drive has a folder that contains the "unzipped" files, i.e., if you downloaded a '.zip' file, you need to "expand" the contents, into a new folder that will contain the individual files that Windows is searching for.

If you downloaded an '.exe' file, on another computer, you have to execute that program, on that other computer, to the one step following the display of "into what folder" (which, for HP computers, usually is a sub-folder of the 'C:\swsetup' folder) should the "expanded" files be written.

Put differently, run that '.exe' file, and allow it to create and populate that sub-folder, then "cancel" at the first opportunity after that.  Then, look in the 'C:\swsetup' folder for a newly-created sub-folder.

It is this sub-folder that you need to copy to the USB drive.

Then, point the Windows Installer to this folder.

It will find the necessary files, and then re-display the "onto which disk-drive should Windows be installed" window.

Which device-driver needs to be done this way?

Probably, only the one device-driver that is documented as being related to "disk-drive" or "disk controller".

HP Recommended

So I got to put the storage drivers on the USB, although again, it didn't allow them to be used, so I decided to use a USB.

I got the installer to work, and to what I thought, install. Although it seems even after completing the install process, and allowing everything to run through, even restarting, when it booted up again, it seems to not have installed.  When I checked the boot order, there wasn't even a Windows boot.

Im now trying to install with it via using the default windows media creator tool (the usb option).

HP Recommended

> So I got to put the storage drivers on the USB, although again, it didn't allow them to be used, so I decided to use a USB.

Typo?  USB versus USB ?

Can you use a smart-phone to take a screen-shot of where the installer stops, to ask you to supply the "missing" device-driver, and post it here?

And, the same for the directory of the files on the USB that contain the necessary files?

Enter BIOS SETUP. 

Is the disk-controller configured for "AHCI" or "NATIVE" mode?

HP Recommended

Thank you, I am sorry for not responding as quickly as I originally intended too, although I did finally get the Windows to work, the problem has changed... again. I realized that when I boot directly into SATA 0 via the F9 boot options, that I can indeed boot into Windows. Anyway there is only a option of legacy boot, and no UFEI booting.

Is there a way for the computer to boot into windows without being in legacy, and having to go through the boot process myself?

HP Recommended

> Is there a way for the computer to boot into windows without being in legacy, and having to go through the boot process myself?

If you enter BIOS SETUP, you can change the "boot order", so that the disk-drive is the first device for booting.

That should do it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.