Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Curved
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Despite the packaging suggesting that plugging in the keyboard and turning on the PC will miraculously result in a connection, that hasn't happened.

This is a wireless, dongle-free keyboard that you get boxed with the Envy - there are no buttons or means to resync the connection. Nor does the packging include anything more than the suggestion that the connection will occur by any means bar magic.

I have the mouse working, just fine. Batteries in and voila - done.

However, no matter how much powering up I might do, the keyboard won't connect. It appears to be working, in that switching it on generates a momentary light on the Num Lock and Caps Lock keys - but then nothing.

Means I have had to dig out a bluetooth fallback - and that's irritating. And I can't find any suggestion of others having this problem --- though, admittedly I haven't looked that hard.

Any thoughts?

Paul

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PaulBaldowski

Odd, indeed.

I finally located a Service and Maintenance Manual for this series so I could locate the receiver for you:

In the manual > Section Solving keyboard and mouse problems > Page 75

Excerpted:

Solving keyboard and mouse problems

If you encounter keyboard or mouse problems, see the documentation that came with the equipment and to the common causes and solutions listed in the following table.

A wireless keyboard/mouse is not working correctly. Symptoms include lagging mouse movement, jumpy mouse/keyboard, or no function of mouse/keyboard and external drive.

Cause

If your computer is equipped with USB 3.0 ports, connected USB 3.0 devices can interfere with the wireless keyboard USB receiver.

Solution

Connect the wireless keyboard USB receiver to a USB 2.0 port that is separated from ports with USB 3.0 devices. If you still experience interference, you may have to place the connectors farther apart using an external USB hub.

AND

Whether the dongle has failed is a question (although I would expect the mouse to fail should that be the case).  It might be useful to remove and then replace the receiver.

Find the receiver (in the manual) on Page 22

Excerpted:
USB wireless receiver
The computer ships with a wireless keyboard and mouse. The USB wireless receiver is located under the rear bottom cover near the RTC battery

Green_Line_1.jpg

Edits - Added "marginally related" link to HP Document

HP PCs - Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Troubleshooting

Note the suggestion to replace batteries, even when battery seems OK.

Green_Line_1.jpg

Edits - HP Partsurfer provides a "mouse and keyboard kit"

IF it becomes necessary, you can apparently purchase a mouse and keyboard kit (which most likely provides a new receiver).

Find your computer's Product Number (or you can use the Serial Number)

Open Parts Surfer

• Select a Country and then enter your device Product Number in the Quick Search box.
  • To see a system-specific list, enter your Serial Number in place of the Product Number.
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart (left) column are available for purchase.

Parts may be available from

HP Parts Store

Example results using Product Number: V9B32AA (USA)

859453-001Keyboard/Mouse Kit - BLK HP WRLS BRM+RNR MUS US

Green_Line_1.jpg

If the unit is still under warranty, (and even if it is not), you have to option to contact HP Technical Support and ask for help.  (Out-of-warranty service, including phone support, may incur a fee for the service.)

HP Contact Information – Sales, Technical Support, other Contacts 

For USA / Canada

Fill in form (explain issue > provide computer identification information > submit); receive Case Number and Contact Information

Contact HP – USA - Assistance

HP Contact Information - Including UK

HP Tech support/ Customer Service – Some English-Speaking Countries

For “everywhere else”

HP World-Wide Support

Help to find Product Number:

Identify my Notebook Model

Warranty Check

Warranty Check – Single or Multiple Devices

Scams and Unscrupulous Contacts

HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

HP Limited Warranty Statement (General Information)

HP Worldwide Limited Warranty and Technical Support

Optional Coverage Plans:

Enter your product number in the form to view various Warranty plans available for that system:

Care Pack Central

CarePack Definitions:

Care Pack Services Definitions

HP Consumer Services (Service Purchase Information)

1-866-724-8600

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the initial response.

Service and Maintenance Manual – As if to confound and confuse, I have the latest version of the HP Envy Curved with the wide footprint base – and that does not have an obvious sign of entry like that outlined for the Pro. I assume the dongle for the wireless keyboard will be in the base unit, but I have yet to work out to get in (or even if I should try!)

USB 3.0 Devices – I don’t have any USB 3.0 plugged in, so that shouldn’t be the issue.

Batteries – The keyboard I have is sealed and, presumably, fitted with an inaccessible rechargeable power supply. I could change the batteries even if I wanted to. I have had the keyboard plugged in and when I switch it on, NUM Lock and CAPS Lock light up, which I assume means it has power.

Technical Support – Herein lies my current plan of action. I have contacted the seller and will, next, contact Tech Support to see what they have to say on the matter.

For the moment, I soldier on with my bluetooth standin.

Paul

HP Recommended

@PaulBaldowski

Well, it was a toss-up between system / model types.  Rats.

The precise model / Product Number of your computer is missing from your initial description.   Guessing is frustrating for both the person needing help and those of us on the other side.  Smiling.

Look for your system Product model / Number:

Help to find Product Number:

Identify my Notebook Model

To help expedite your request, include the information when you contact HP Technical Support.

Want to dig at the issue on your own?

If yes:

Check your computer's homepage > Manuals section  > Look for the Service Manual.

If you don't find it, use your favorite search engine to find a similar computer model to your own -- Service Manuals are not Product Number specific in that the same model series of computer will use the same Service Manual.

Try removing / reseating the USB receiver.

While you are on your system's homepage, check the Driver page for Updates.

Ensure your Chipset driver is up-to-date:

Category Driver - Chipset

and

Category Driver - Keyboard, Mouse, and Input Devices

Good Luck!  

If you like, let us know the answer.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP devices and technology.

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.