Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z230 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last year I got from HP : Z230 SFF + i7 + 2x 4GB + 256GB HP Z drive + DVD drive + K620 video card + Windows 10 64bits

This year I replaced my old LCD with a new 4k one (K620 supports this), but now Fusion 360 hangs.

With the HP tools I could detect very high GPU RAM usage, around 80% when opening a medium design full screen.

I also got support from Autodesk, Fusion 360 is using Direct X instead of OpenGL so Quattro cards are  .

Now I would like to upgrade the GPU from 2GB  to a 4MB version, I found my options are :

NVIDIA K1200 : already an old design, build for Open GL.

NVIDIA P1000 : new card, build for Open GL and very expesive -> Will it work on the Z230 ?

AMD W4300 : already an old design, build for Open GL.

AMD WX4100 : new card, build for Open GL -> Will it work on the Z230 ?

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 ti LP 4GB, new design, very good on Direct X and cheap

• Will this work on the Z230, it uses 75W ?

Can HP confirm the new versions (P1000 and WX4100) are supported ?

Anybody who has already used a GTX ‘gaming’ card in the SFF workstation.

I prefer this option because it’s much cheaper and does the best job for Direct X.

But will the 75W card work on the 240W power supply, I don’t have any HDD.

The new WX-4100 would be my second option if I'm sure it wil also work.

Thanks for any info.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

A GTX 1050ti or higher graphics card will not work for a couple of reasons.

1) Your PC's 240W PSU does not have enough grunt to supply power to the motherboard and GPU without showing you some unexpected results.

2) the card isn't low profile. It won't  phyically fit in the case.

See the following search that I did for a compatible graphics card update for your HP Z200 series workstation.

https://www.google.com/#q=Z230+SSF+graphics+card+upgrade&*

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The MSI GeForce GTX 1050 ti LP 4GB is a LOW PROFILE version of the GTX 1050 ti, I measured it and should fit.

Power could be an issue, but I looked up all document on the Z230 SFF and found with an i7, 16GB and K620 it only take 160W running a 3D program.  Ok that's a small marging but I'm also using the system 2 hours max every day.

I know the W4300 is approved by HP on the new Z240 machine (and also the WX7100).

Woudl it be safe to say the new WX-4100 will also work, same LP factor, < 50W ?

regards

HP Recommended

The W4100 and W4300 are close to the same price point.

I would go with the one that is known to be certified for the workstation.  

The W4300 is a beast.

The WX7100 is quite pricey. It's all about the budget, and value added on that one.

The WX4100 may work, but if it doesn't, you have all of the hassle of reqyesting a return or an RMA. It is abit of a gamble. Workstations are pretty picky on components.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

For the Z230 SFF only the NVIDIA K1200 is approved by HP, but this card is old technologie.

On the Z240 they added the AMD W4300, so I'm notr sure it will work on the Z230.

If I have to take the risk I would go for the latest release being the WX4100,

especially because my application uses Direct X and not OpenGL.

HP Recommended

@Trianon wrote:

For the Z230 SFF only the NVIDIA K1200 is approved by HP, but this card is old technologie.

On the Z240 they added the AMD W4300, so I'm notr sure it will work on the Z230.

If I have to take the risk I would go for the latest release being the WX4100,

especially because my application uses Direct X and not OpenGL.

If you purchase it with a credit card and it doesn't work as expected then returning it for another option will be straightforward. That is how I mitigate the risk for purchases of this type.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.