Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Machine information:
  Model: HP Z440 Desktop Workstation
  Product No.: G1X58EA#ACB
  OS: WIndows 7 (preinstalled), Arch Linux (manully installed)

Right after purchase I could not get into BIOS settings.
F2 (system information) and F12 (PXE boot) works, but F10 and other combinations doesn’t.

Arch Linux boots and works well, but with disabled hardware virtualization. It was disabled in BIOS.

I decided to clear CMOS (pressing yellow button near battery and CMOS text label) and after that system doesn’t boot at all. Nor F12, nor F10 works now. It reboots in cycle with these text:
> Mini OROM Display…
> Initializing Inte(R) PXE…
> PXE 2.1…

Is it some kind of vendor lock?
I only want working system, system with accessible BIOS settings.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

With my Z210, when using a microsoft keyboard, i could not get into BIOS but the HP USB keyboard had less of an issue entering BIOS.

HP even went as far as to release an advisory on this issue specifically for the Z210. They advised setting a post delay of 5 seconds within BIOS (but oddly didn't say how to resolve the issue if you couldn't get into BIOS in the first place :smileyhappy:' )

So, try using the HP keyboard that came with your system and if it works, look into your Z440 BIOS for a post delay and if available set it to 5 seconds. If that doesn't help, or you can't get into BIOS with teh HP keyboard, i'd ring HP support and lodge a case with them.

As for what the issue may be, i have no idea but i doubt it's vendor lock in. Probably just poor compliance to some BIOS/USB specs which resuilts in some keyboards not working as expected during the early part of POST.

In any case your problem may not be related to any of what i have said but since nobody else has come forward with an explanation, at least you have one thing to try :smileyhappy:.

HP Recommended

I'll add in one more tip..... I recently could not get into the BIOS of a Z620 with a HP USB keyboard.

I tend to use HP PS2 keyboards for my projects, with the belief that I'm avoiding USB driver load issues, and switched in a PS2 keyboard for this Z620.  That did the trick, and I was able to get in, update the BIOS from within BIOS, and set in a 5 second delay.

Scott

HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer.

I have tried different keyboards. And in fact it was a problem, because first keyboard has Fn key, and F1, F2.. keys were active only when this Fn key is pressed what I didn't do. Quite funny, but now I am using HP keyboard.

And another funny thing is that we have two HP Z440, one for me and another for my colleague.

He is working on Ubuntu now, but BIOS settings is not availabe too. But he didn't need hardware virtualization and other stuff, so it is ok. I really want to clear CMOS on his system, but everybody are against - working and died system is better than died and died system :smileyhappy:

So I could not prove that system became unbootable after CMOS clearing. And don’t want to call support for now.
Flashing BIOS is interesting, but risky operation. Trying to find easier solutions.

HP Recommended

Hm, I will find PS/2 keyboard.

But if F2 and F12 keys worked fine, it is strange that F10 didn't.

Anyway I will try, thanks.

HP Recommended

Please try to press ESC key and then select F10 key once the BIOS menus are displayed.

HP Recommended

Hi,

exactly the same problem here. 

Z440

Windows 7 pre-installed

I couldn't get into the BIOS / F10 didn't work.

I talked to HP support and they told me to clear CMOS (yellow button) ... now  it reboots in a cycle ...

with the messages you showed.

Did you find a solution to get it to boot again  and/or get to the BIOS ?

HP Recommended

Yes, we have found the solution. Workstation refused to boot with DVI cabel, but with VGA it boots well.

This problem could be fixed by BIOS update. You could get BIOS settings first with VGA cabel, update BIOS and work with DVI.

It sounds strange, but it is. Technical engineer has visited us for 3 times with different motherboards, CPU's and RAM's.

First time I see something like this.

HP Recommended

Same here ! We tried the VGA port and it works.

Very strange ...

Thanks for the info !

HP Recommended

But my HP Z440 has only a DVI connection as far as I know. So how can I solve this problem? Any suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.