Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

your help and answer is greatly appreciate,

I just bought an old Z800 workstaion with the following information

* motherboard PN: AS#460838-002

* Bios Ver: v01.18

* Window-7 Pro

(1) What generation does my Z800 have based on info above ?

(2) Where can I find the latest Bios version for this workstation that good fix with

my current Z800 generation, since HP online show Bios ver: v03.56 Rev. A, but

I'm reluctant to use this Bios, this may due to my old generation of this Z800 as

forum had been discussed

(3) Can I update to Bios in HP web page v03.56 as long as I do not upgrade to

CPU Intel 56xx family.  Will it give me any booting problem with this Bios

(4) Can I use Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD SATA-3 6.0Gb/s as boot disk for OS/application

on this z800 generation.  If not then what option would it be so I can use SSD as boot devices

Best Regards

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

All of z800 can upgrade to the altest the System BIOS. So yes, you can upgrade to v3.56. You can download it at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

I did not see any technical reason that Samsung SSD does not work qw q boot device. It should work tecnically.

HP Recommended

Thanks Johnt for your advice

(1) So I can use Samsung SSD 840 Pro in my Z800, even though Z800 have 1.5gb (sata-I) and 3.0 (sata-II)

Samsung SSD 840 pro 6.0gb/s (sata 3) work with my Z800 motherboard ????

have a good day

HP Recommended

will you please help me how to update the Bios for the HP Z800 step by step, after I download the new Version 3.56 Rev. A (9 May 2013). Please

HP Recommended

Hello

* Note: Impotant you need to save your current BIOS first 

you can save to USB or CD

(1) Use an empty USB stick

(2) Extract your BIOS into this USB

(3) Turn On your HP Z800, At system screen pop-up HIT F10

(4) Now you're in system BIOS, 

(5) Select File--> Flash System ROM

a Screen display with Select a drive default is USB, Hit Enter

(6) Wait don't do any thing or touch your PC, let program install by itself (Important)

(7) You're done, you can reboot your machine then at the Lower Left Hand corner you

will see your new BIOS version display

Good Luck

HP Recommended

I am in the same boat.  I have tried to update from a USB but I get a "file corrupt or missing"  when I try to flash update from the USB while in the bios utility after hitting F10 during startup.

I downloaded the executable (sp63463) and saved all the contents to an empty USB thumb drive.

I have a z800 currently on bios V1.17 and want to go to the latest and greatest V3.57 ... my version is very old, so would very much like to update to the latest version.

Some questions:

1.  There is a directory DOS_FLASH on the thumb drive which contains file 7G5_0357.bin  ... does that file need to be in the top level directory, or is it ok to be in the sub folder.  It seems when I try to flash, perhaps the BIOS flash utility is looking only at the top level?

2. there are links that indicate you need to call the USB HP_TOOLS .... is that necessary?

3.  Is there ANY WAY whatsoever to save off my old V1.17 BIOS in case something goes wrong during the install?

4. I assume 3.57 is ok for every flavor of z800?  If not, please let me know.

Thank you

Eric

HP Recommended

Eric,

Littlejojo left out some steps.  Here's how to do it for all the HP workstations I have worked with, and I prefer to update BIOS from within BIOS because that is said to be the safest way to go, rather than updating BIOS from within Windows.

When you update BIOS from within BIOS you're doing that before any OS or other programs get involved.  So, google search for Z800 drivers, and go to the HP list of downloads for that, BIOS section.  I see 2 items there, the 03.57 bios download itself, and the BIOS Utilities.  Download the BIOS updater (sp63463), and ignore the BIOS Utilities.

Next step... and you can do this on any HP workstation, not just your Z800.  Run the sp63463..... it will unpack and likely will launch into a document that allows updating BIOS from within windows.  Quit out of that, and if it asks if things installed properly answer yes.  The process will have installed on the root level of your C drive a folder called SWSETUP.  Go into that and find SP63463, and open that.  Go to the DOS_Flash folder in there and copy only 7G5_0357.bin to a freshly formatted thumb drive with nothing else on it.  I usually throw away the SP folder when done.

My builds shows the extension (.bin in this case) because in my Control panel settings I have Folders View tab options set to show extensions of known file types.  If yours is not set that way you probably will only see 7G5_0357 there along with the other 6 items.

Now, shut down.  Insert the thumb drive into a black USB 2 drive port instead of a blue USB 3 port if your workstation has both types (yours does not).  I use the top USB port out front.  Boot up, F10 into BIOS, go to the first tab at the top (it is named File), drag down to Flash System ROM, and your BIOS should detect the USB stick and likely a floppy drive option even if you have no floppy present.  Pick the USB option, press F10, and things will proceed automatically from there.

When the BIOS flash is done I like to back out of BIOS, and fully power down.  Then boot up.  You may have new options available for you in BIOS, and also the hidden "microcode" updates that come with some BIOS updates may allow you to run newer processors that you could not run before.  You won't be able to run ones that require a new motherboard revision if you happen to have the older motherboard version.

HP Recommended

Scott ... very much appreciated.

The key was to have only the one binary on your USB at the root level.

I am now up to date with 3.57 .... this was painless and easy.  I just went ahead and updated to 3.57 and decided not to bother with trying to figure out how to save off the old BIOS.  If anyone knows how to do that, for future benefit, please chime in.

Thank you very much for the excellent instructions.

HP Recommended

Does anyone know if the most recent 3.60 BIOS version works with Windows 10 64 bit version? 

I recently (mistakenly) upgraded to windows 10 [after many messages asking to update to windows 10 from 7, seems like it autoupdated during a reboot .. beleive one of my kids hit continue during a prompt to upgrade .. decided to go through with it .. long story]. 

Now, my system contstanly hangs after a couple of minutes running any kind of program, especially iTunes.  I have turned off power management, everything I can think of, and my system continues to hang and become upresonsive after 10 minutes or so.

Wondering if the BIOS update will fix anything.

Thanks

Eric

HP Recommended

Eric,

Here's the good news..... once a properly activated W7Pro64 install has been updated to W10Pro64 then the UUID (in BIOS) is registered at the central MS servers, and that workstation is considered W10 activated for life.  That is, you can do a clean install from scratch on a freshly formatted SSD or HDD and the process will recognize your workstation and proceed with the clean W10Pro64 install, and when finished the install will automatically activate without your need to enter a COA serial number.

Here's the bad news.... in my opinion a clean W10Pro64 install (preferably on a NTFS long-type reformatted SSD or HDD) is what you need to do now.  The new 3.60 BIOS versions for the Z600, Z800, Z400 work fine with W10, and those all came out 4/16.  That BIOS, however, will not be a solution to your current issues.

Your problem is that something did not translate over well with the W10 update process, and you won't be able to bandaid over the mess.  I never update; clean installs in my mind are the only way to ensure high liklihood of a new OS install success.

Of interest, this W10 activation process results in the ability to capture an image of an install from one workstation and then clone of that image over to another same-type workstation that is W10 activated.  And, even other workstations that are  related but not same-type.  For example, a xw6400 image cloned onto a xw6600 or xw4600, etc.  Have done that, and am using Acronis as my way to image and clone.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.