Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently taken hold of a HP Z840 Desktop with Win10 64 bit. 

This was specced with the additional LSI controller for RAID, and it has 4 x 3TB HDD drives connected to that controller. The Windows OS appears to be housed on a separate smaller HDD as it can boot up with all 4 large drives removed.

By default, RAID isn't enabled and I'd like to get it set up. I've gone into the BIOS and set the controller to RAID rather than IDE or AHCI. Problem is whenever I try and boot the system with the 4 drives inserted, it simply sits at the black bios startup screen with the small square LSI controller window at the far right and hangs on the 'initializing' message. If I press CTRL-C to access the RAID menu, it goes a little farther but still hangs at the next screen - another black screen with an LSI Controller message in DOS-style text, and an 'initializing' prompt which sits there forever. I've left it for over 24hrs with no change. 

If I unplug all 4 drives - it boots fine into the OS. 

I've tried unplugging the 4, then going into the LSi config utility and setting BOOT Support to 'Enabled in BIOS' / 'Enabled in OS' / 'Disabled' and various pemutations, but nothing seems to work. Have also tried pressing CTRL-C to enter the LSi Config utility and then plugging in the drives just before that starts in an effort to leapfrog the issue, but I just get a random corruption error then. 

Have I missed something completely obvious? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @rps_support,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, The issue that you have with this HP Z840 Workstation is classified as a commercial product (business line).

Our Commercial Support Team does not provide assistance via this platform.
If you require immediate assistance, you will need to log a case with our Commercial Support Team.

Please click on this link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/business-support.html for more details and support.

Let me know if you require further information and/or assistance.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.