Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Z840

I am looking at an HP Z840 T4P05UT#ABA.  The machine comes with an 8 core E5-2620 v4... my software recommends at least 16 cores 32 GB Ram.  How difficult is it to add another processor?  Besides the actual porocessor, do I need any additional hardware to do so?

Can I upgrade the processors to the 16 core v4s down the line? (the E5 2683v4 is prohibitely expensive NOW, but in two years...)

Ram I assume can just be added - is there any warranty issues to adding non HP RAM?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Also, I read in your document on RAID that if you raid throught hte processor, then you lose processor speed; is this true on the 840? 

If so, will I gain speed (or not lose it...) by installing a PCI 3.0 Raid controller?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Save yourself the headaches of adding another physical processor, additional hardware and buy the system already configured by HP.

RAID will add a small amount of overhead to the PC but not enough to be concerned about unless you way under configure your PC from the start which is not going to happen with the Z840.

I have seen very few applications other than transaction based applications that can really take advantage of 16 cores (not to be confused with processor threads).

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Maybe you haven't... but... the specs for Black Magic Davinci Resolve (http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20160726-118da9/DaVinci_Resolve_12_Configuratio... ) read : "...The biggest limitationof these systems is the single CPU..."

Specs say:

HP Z840

Dual Intel Xeon E5-2697 v3 (dual 14 core) (Dual 8 core is minimum recommended)
32GB RAM (8x4GB memory sticks) or higher
    Use pairs of 4 for maximum memory bandwidth
SATA 7200 1TB system hard drive
1 x DVD-RW drive, SATA, Black

I spent ALOT of money on an HP K520 video card (although got a great buy...) so may have to suffice with an entry level machine and upgrade with time as finances allow.  The card is specifically designed for HP _40 series machines.  

So, I may be able to afford the system listed (and get a good buy on a new open box) ... still under warranty until 2019. 

I know RAM can be added, and am pretty sure that the specs for this machine say a second processor can as well.  Don't know how hard to add a processor (or if a non-HP genuine Intel one voids warranty...).  I also need to know if non-HP RAM voids warranty, and would like to guage the feasability of upgrading to E5 2683 v4 or better in years down the road when these come down to sane prices (right now, they're running almost $2K a piece, and that's not even from HP.  But if history serves as a good indicator, in two to four years they'll be $400 {of course by then we'll be on to 56 core processors, but I think the 4K video standard will remain the top for a while yet... of course I could be wrong there...}).

If I buy this machine it'll have to last me a LONG while... and I'd like to know how much I can do in years down the road.

So your advice, although great if one can afford, does me no good whatsoever.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

This information that you have supplies is nearly worthless.  Go buy a MAC.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.