Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I can't get past a blue screen (BSOD) which states ...The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant... I've researched this site and the web and can't find an answer that works. I'd like to try to update the BIOS since it's the original and there are 2 newer versions but they appear to require windows to run and I can't boot into windows. My system is:

HP Pavilion Elite Desktop m9340f

Q6700 @ 2.66 GHz

6 GB RAM (2x2GB+2x1GB)

Asus IPIBL-LB "Benicia" Motherboard

BIOS 5.25 dated 6/16/2008

Windows Vista 64bit

This is how far I get:

Windows is loading files...

Microsoft Corporation flashes then BSOD

Here's what I've tried so far:

F8

Advanced Boot Options:

"Repair Your Computer" tries to start window, get BSOD

"Safe Mode" "Loading Windows Files"  then BSOD

F9 HP Diagnostics works OK and all hardware checks out OK

F10 Setup mode, I've changed the SATA1 controller from RAID default to IDE and AHCI with same results

F11 Recovery (tries to get into windows and get BSOD)

Tried recovery using recovery DVDs with the same results when it tries to load windows

Tried Windows 7 upgrade disk with same results

Removed all RAM and tried one stick at a time with same results

Installed HD in USB dock and have run chkdsk (no errors), MSE virus scan (no issues)

Ran System File Checker sfc /scannow which resulted in this statement "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" I couldn't find any details in the CBS.log file

Tried clean HD (SSD) to recover to with same results

Reseated video card (same results)

Removed video card and ran off onboard video with same results

Reset BIOS to defaults

Cleared CMOS with jumper

I think I've exhausted about all I can think of and find online. Any ideas on how to flash the BIOS would be appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

NGNeer, welcome to the forum.

While it sounds strange, the power supply unit (PSU) can cause many booting problems.  I suggest using this guide to troubleshoot it.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
I think the PSU is OK. It powers up fine and I can get into BIOS setup etc, just can't get into windows.
HP Recommended

HI NGNeer:

Thank you for your inquiry.

I understand after trying to update the bios you are now getting an error.

I am sending you a link to "Restoring the Bios"  click here.

Good luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, but its all for restoring the BIOS on a notebook. My PC is a desktop (HP Pavilion Elite Desktop m9340f). I tried the key combos anyway but to no avail. Do you have instructions for restoring the BIOS for my system? If there is a BIOS recovery file stored somewhere on my hard drive, what would it be called and where would I find it?

Thanks. 

HP Recommended

Hi NGneer:

Thank you for your reply.

I am sending you a  link to a document on "BIOS Settings for the Benicia Motherboard" click here.

This document will help to to load the defaults.

Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thanks for the setup details Sparkles1 but I've reset to defaults, cleared the CMOS and even replaced the RTC battery. The insructions I need are how to flash the BIOS from DOS since I'm unable to boot into Windows and HP only provides Windows based flash utilities.

HP Recommended

Hi NGeer:

I regret that returning to defaults did not work for you.

I would contact HP support and explain what happened. They may be able to assist.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Sadly, I just got off the phone with HP support and they are unwilling to help. They won't help do a BIOS flash from DOS, only Windows. So, since I can't boot into Windows I'm going to try the BIOS-Mods.com boards instead of HP. Hope I can resolve this since it's a nice PC when it works. 

HP Recommended

HI NGNeer:

Thank you for your reply.

I am sending you a link to "Updating the BIOS During Startup" click here.

I am also sending you a link to "Troubleshooting System Recovery Problems (Windows Vista)" click here.

I hope these are helpful.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.