Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi

I am trying to update the BIOS Microcode in order to install a new CPU but during the installation i get stuck so could do with some gentle guidance please..

So far i have downloaded the update to the PC and i get the instruction through a DOS prompt to "place destination disk in drive A"

This is what is stumping me. What should i do here?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Depending on the BIOS update package that is running some of them make a floppy disk to do part of the upgrading.  I would assume it means to put an empty floppy in the floppy drive so it can make the disk.  On a system that old, the software assumes there happens to be a floppy drive.  If it has been removed or does not work, the either replace it or get a USB floppy drive.  Some of the instructions indicate making a CD instead of the floppy, but evidently the one being run does not have that option.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Ok, but even if it is referring to a floppy drive i still don't get what i am meant to do with it. It is an exe file so what why is it going through this process of installing?

HP Recommended

It would be helpful if you indicated what BIOS update is running (version number and date)  and where it came from.  Once the file as been written to the floppy, I assume it will instruct the user what do to do with it when it has finish.  I continue to assume the computer needs to be restarted with the floppy in the drive and then it will use the floppy to complete the BIOS update.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, @robsy :

You have to put a formatted floppy disk in the FDD.

You then download and run the microcode update and it will format the floppy disk, write the microcode update files to the disk, and the program will also make the floppy disk bootable.

Once that process is completed, restart the PC, tap the F9 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get the boot options menu.

Select the floppy disk drive from the list, and hit the enter key.

The PC will boot from the FDD, and you will be presented with the instructions to update the microcode.

HP Recommended

Presently the BIOS software is 786C1 v01.05 and i am trying to updte to v01.10

Is there an alternative to using a floppy drive as there is none.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately the only way to update the microcode is via FDD.

Just get a USB FDD, and that should work just fine.

When you are working with legacy equipment and operating systems, you need to have legacy hardware in your toolkit.

A USB FDD is essential for working on old PC's.

I gave my dc7100 away years ago, and I had updated the microcode to v01.10, installed a Pentium 4 650, and ran W7 64 bit on it.

The 650, IMO was the best processor you could install without running into heat issues with the higher versions.

If you are trying to install one of the Pentium 4 processors that end in a 1 (such as a 651, 661...) I am pretty sure the microcode update won't get rid of the microcode error.

HP Recommended

Thanks thats useful info.

It is a 650 processor but it would be good to know if that would work with the upgraded code?

Also slightly off track, the system temperature is running at a constant 65 degrees. Is this too high? The CPU fan goes beserk with certain tasks.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The 650 definitely works fine with the microcode update.

I ran the update before I installed the processor, so I never got microcode error.

I think it all comes down to how good you are at applying thermal paste.

Prior to changing the processor, my PC's fan never went up..

After I installed the 650, the fan sounded like a jet airplane when the processor was under heavy load.

The stock heat sink seems to be very good quality with the copper contact area and heat pipes.

I'm thinking it was me, because if I remember right, my dc7100 CMT came stock with the P4 530.

Now, take a look at the side by side comparisons of the 530 and the 650.

There is no difference in the wattage.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/27482,27463

There's gotta be a trick to the proper cleaning of the heat sink and processor heat spreader surfaces, and the proper type, amount and application of the thermal paste.

So I could never understand why the fan took off with the 650, and worked just fine with the 530.

I thought I had done a good job with the cleaning and the thermal paste application.

The temp of 65 C is just under the max (66.6C) the 650 processor is supposed to run at.

I never took a reading.  All I know is that when the fan goes into orbit like that, it isn't good.

HP Recommended

Yes i haven't applied thermal paste yet. Now i have to get hold of a USB floppy drive its becoming a bit of a pain. Its interesting  and more fun this way mind you!

Thanks again

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.