Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

On turning my computer off the monitor shows " configurating windows updates'...but its been stuck for hours on update 177 of 211 updates. Have turned off at power supply & rebooted but same screen then re-appears.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi! @samwgdavis, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that on turning on your PC you are getting configuring windows updates and stuck for hours.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Wait for the update process to complete
“Configuring windows updates don’t turn off your computer” message is a normal part of every Windows Update, and sometimes it can take a while in order for the update to be installed, so it’s no wonder many users assume that the update process is frozen. The simplest solution to this problem is to wait for the update to install itself.

As previously mentioned, the update process can take a while, and users reported that the process took from 30 minutes up to 2 hours to complete. In most cases, the update process isn’t stuck so you’ll just have to patiently wait for a while before the update is completely installed.

Remove any USB peripherals

Turn off your device and turn it back on again

Try accessing Safe Mode

After you turn on and turn off your computer a few times, you should see Advanced Startup screen.
Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings and click the Restart button.
Once your computer restarts again, you’ll see a list of options. Press F5 to access Safe Mode with Networking.
If you manage to install the update in Safe Mode, you can just restart your computer and access Windows 10 normally.

Use Automatic Repair or System Restore
Few users reported that they have managed to fix this problem by performing Automatic Repair or System Restore. After you turn on and turn off your PC a couple of times, you should see Advanced Startup screen. Once you see that screen, you’ll need to do the following:

Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options.
Select Automatic Repair.
Wait for the process to finish.
If the issue isn’t fixed, you’ll have to repeat the entire process all over again and choose System Restore this time.
Wait for the System Restore to complete and you should be able to go back to Windows 10.

Try running a system diagnostics on your PC and let me know the results.

Refer this article know how to run system diagnostics on your PC.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.