Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought an Envy 750-414 and want to add an additional internal hard drive.  What size do I need - 2.5" or 3.5"?

Also, I read on another forum that MS Office must be installed to the C: drive which is the solid state drive containing the OS.  If I am forced to install MS Office to said Solid State drive will I have issues?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@maafla1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, I can't find any Maintenance info that shows what drive bays your PC has, so I can't tell, since the specs say it already has two drives (an SSD and an HDD) if there is room for a third drive in the internal bay.

In terms of the MS Office question, whenever I have installed Office 2013 or newer, it did NOT give me a choice of WHERE to install it, unlike other apps, so YES -- you are forced to install it on the OS partition, which in this case, is on the SSD.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I never used a SSD before.  At 128 GB that sure doesn't sound like a lot by today's standards.  To install MS Word and Excel 2013 do I have enough space?

HP Recommended

HP 750-414 Support Page indicates that this is correct document, for your case,

to replace or add a HDD (hard drive) or SSD (solid-state drive) to your HP Envy 700 series.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04119894

These storage locations are 3.5 inch.

When installing 2.5" SSD or HDD in 3.5" storage locations (drive bays),

I always use this HP part: 654540-001

I ordered a number of these in 2014/2015 (significantly cheaper at $4 each), before this part became well-known. Shop around (Amazon, eBay, Alibaba) for best price and delivery time (China cheaper, but 3 weeks for shipping).

2.5" SSD to 3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive HDD Adapter.
HP part number: 645540-001

IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3840.JPG

HP Recommended

"I never used a SSD before. At 128 GB that sure doesn't sound like a lot by today's standards.

To install MS Word and Excel 2013 do I have enough space?"

HP Envy 700-414 Product Specifications 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-750-400-Desktop-PC-series/12079665/document/c05266971/

You already have a 128 GB TLC Solid State Drive (SATA), width: 2.5 in (6.35 cm).

The prices for SSD have dropped over the past 24 months. 256 GB and 500/512 GB SATA SSD are common.

You should be able to install Office 365 on that 128 GB SSD,

BUT you will want to store your documents, downloads, and other programs on the 1 TB hard drive (likely drive 😧 ).

HP Recommended

I want to leave the SSD alone and add an additional "traditional hard drive".  I can't find the part you mentioned on HP's website.   I have a 3.5" internal HD that I am about to return because it doesn't look like it will fit.  I need some more information.

HP Recommended

HP Envy 750-414 Specifications page (Link provided to you, earlier)

shows that you already have a 1 TB hard drive installed in this computer.

IMG_3854.JPG

Size: 1 TB
Interface: SATA
Rotational Speed: 7200 rpm

HP Recommended

Don't forget that four (4) torx head mounting screws are needed to mount a 3.5" hard drive or if you are using an 2.5" to 3.5" adapter bracket. If you are replacing the existing HD then you can use the existing torx head screws.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I know but I want a second (actually a third) hard drive.  I don't like mixing utilities/productivity software with my games or music.

HP Recommended

Ya know...it would just be easier to buy an external HD.  I think I'll do that instead.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.