Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All,

we  recently received a sample unit Elitedesk 800 G2 so that we can adapt our OS deployment solution to it before people in our company start purchasing it.

We use legacy-boot PXE for deployments so I wanted to set up the machine to do Legacy Boot and set the legacy boot order to PXE first.

Since there is no documentation or help that I could find , it was a trial-and-error process.

I finally managed to get the machine to legacy boot by setting Secure Boot to "Enable Legacy and disable secure boot" under "advanced" and enabling the setting “clear secure boot keys”.

After a reboot I was able to disable UEFI and configure the legacy boot order as desired. All worked fine.

To validate the procedure I reverted the machine back to Factory Defaults and tried to follow the same steps , however now the setting “clear secure boot keys” is greyed out and I am unable to set "Enable Legacy and disable secure boot".

Does anyone know how I can get back to legacy boot now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I figured it out myself , this is for the benefit of others:

to switch from UEFI secure boot to Legacy Boot on Elitedesk 800 G2 ( and others with same firmware):

F10 – BIOS setup

‘Advanced’ –‘ secure boot configuration’,Set “clear secure boot keys”

Save&Reboot

machine asks for a code , enter it and reboot.

F10 – BIOS setup

‘Advanced’ –‘ secure boot configuration’

Enable “legacy support enable”

Save&Reboot

F10 – BIOS setup

Boot Options: disable ‘UEFI boot order’ and enable/configure ‘Legacy Boot order’

Save&Reboot

Yes , 4 reboots are needed unless there is a quicker way that I am unaware of.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I figured it out myself , this is for the benefit of others:

to switch from UEFI secure boot to Legacy Boot on Elitedesk 800 G2 ( and others with same firmware):

F10 – BIOS setup

‘Advanced’ –‘ secure boot configuration’,Set “clear secure boot keys”

Save&Reboot

machine asks for a code , enter it and reboot.

F10 – BIOS setup

‘Advanced’ –‘ secure boot configuration’

Enable “legacy support enable”

Save&Reboot

F10 – BIOS setup

Boot Options: disable ‘UEFI boot order’ and enable/configure ‘Legacy Boot order’

Save&Reboot

Yes , 4 reboots are needed unless there is a quicker way that I am unaware of.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the Information -

I wonder if HP can confirm if this is the only procedure going forward, it seems a bit of a messy way to enable legacy support which I can only assume a vast amount of companies still use. 

HP Recommended

It still does not work for me. I can do the first step but when it comes to enabling the legacy and saving it, doesn’t work. It reverts back to what it previously was. Really need a fix for this.

HP Recommended

@TamCheeks wrote:

It still does not work for me. I can do the first step but when it comes to enabling the legacy and saving it, doesn’t work. It reverts back to what it previously was. Really need a fix for this.

Did you first update the firmware and try again?

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

Facing the same problem...even 4 rooboots does not helps....  

any suggestions?  

2016/03/07 17:01:34.060901 | 1580|Info |biosconfig::FileSettings::GetSettings| Loaded setting 'Legacy Boot Options' with 2 values.
2016/03/07 17:01:34.060901 | 1580|Info |biosconfig::FileSettings::GetSettings| Loaded setting 'UEFI Boot Options' with 2 values.
2016/03/07 17:01:34.060901 | 1580|Info |biosconfig::FileSettings::GetSettings| Succesfully read 2 settings from file.
2016/03/07 17:01:34.060901 | 1580|Info |biosconfig::FileSettings::ApplySettings| Load all settings from BIOS
2016/03/07 17:01:36.844187 | 1580|Info |biosconfig::FileSettings::ApplySettings| Setting 'Legacy Boot Options' changeStatus='skip'
2016/03/07 17:01:36.844187 | 1580|Info |biosconfig::FileSettings::ApplySettings| Setting 'UEFI Boot Options' changeStatus='skip'

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.