Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a M9517c that finally failed. Took me 3 days to diagnose.

Do have a recommendation for the heat sink / cooling fan combo?

can you provide a link?

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Hey HPElite, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue. Your motherboard has an AM2 processor socket. Any fan/heatsink combo that says it is compatible with an AM2 socket, will work for you. The bigger the fan measurement, the better it will cool the processor. You might want to measure your current fan and get a new fan that is similar in diameter.

Here are a few from NewEgg.com. Those are all AM2 fan/heatsink combos. The fans range in diameter (mm). 

Be careful buying any fans from an auction website. Be aware of the sellers return policy and use PayPal if you can because if you receive the product damaged or if you don't get what you paid for, PayPal will represent you. 

Remember to remove the old thermal paste between the heat sink and the CPU. Clean both surfaces and to add new thermal paste. Here's a great YouTube Tutorial showing the process of cleaning and applying thermal paste

Please let me know if you have any questions on that 🙂

HP Recommended

OK. Final update on this NVIDIA chipset situation. After adding a SATA card, it lasted for 1 year or so. It eventually died. Won't power on at all.

And another PC I have which also has NVIDIA chipset in it died 1 month after the first one died too. This one suddenly stopped giving output on the screen and gives short+long beaps. The video card has been taken out and verified on a different PC to be fine.

Lesson learned here is, if you have a similar situation, just give up and move on. Don't waste time and money on it anymore.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the good advice and links. 

I was surprised that you suggested a cpu cooler/sink. I thought the recommendation was supposed to be for the Nvidia Northbridge chipset. Could you clarify if this needs a cooling fan/sink also. If so, do you have a link? 

Best regards

HP Recommended

I'm sorry for the incorrect information.

HP Recommended

seems like you i/o northbridge is gone out , the best thing and the only thing you can do is buy a new mob  (motherboard) or buy your self a new Pc. go to hp support and shop site look up you mobo and version there.

HP Recommended

to be honest your i/o north bridge is gone out and thus this leads to one option : you need a new motherboard ,go to hp support and shop site find your board there and buy it or you can just buy a new one. hope that helps you with that problem your haveing.

HP Recommended

I will never buy another pc from hp. They already repaired my pc twice

HP Recommended

This reminds me of the DV9000 laptops. Blame the heat issue on some other manufacture and not stand behind the product. I have 13 DV9000s from random users that come to me for repair and I have to tell them it is not worth it. 

I just had a HP come in with this mobo and I am glad I can at least give them options since it is a desktop instead of a laptop. I think I will give them the option to band-aid this turd or buy something else new.

For years I have pushed people away from HP/Compaq because they do not stand behind the cheap oversea products they sell. Everybody in my family knows if they buy an HP I will not work on it.  

----Done with rant----

I have tried 2 different sata cards and it does seem to bring life back into the system but I am a bit afraid that something will continue to fail down the road so it will be up to the users if they want to go for the $25 part or just go new and maybe sell some of the parts out of this one to make up for it. Just not the motherboard unless to a scrap yard.

Thank you HP for helping me further prove my point to all the people that ask me what they should buy for their family or office.

HP Recommended

Lucky me just purchased a P6130F HPiece of junk on Craigslist and have the same issue as you guys. I just wanted to necro this thread to see if those of you who swapped in a PCIE sata card had any future problems with your system.  When my system is off for an hour or so my bios will briefly see the HDD, but within seconds the chip is too hot to touch. I just ordered a PCIE Sata card (got a cheap PCIE 1.0, hope i dont need 2.0). My main worry now is if the heat from that chip will affect anything else like graphics or USB. I will eventually throw in a video card, but was hoping some of you who dealt with this back then could chime in on how things went later on. Thanks for all the posts. Read all 30 something pages!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.