Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm having similar issues. I have a HP Pavillion Elite M9517C and I got an error code the other day that said it was a hard drive failure so I changed the hard drive and it will not boot to anything. It has an M2N78-LA motherboard and after reading all this I wonder if it is the motherboard. I've looked for at cross reference charts at other motherboards but I really don't know what I'm looking for, I did go to ASUS to see if any info there but they don't even show that motherboard anymore, its now an M3N78-VM an by looking at the specs it looks like it would be a replacement but not sure I want to stay with that brand. But looking at all these posts it looks like HP should have a recall.

HP Recommended

New motherboard solved my issues. I went with a gigabyte ma785gm-us2h and it fits perfectly (need an adaptor for the power supply like a previous poster mentioned).

The only thing is I can't find where to plug in the media card reader and the internal wireless adaptor on the new motherboard. Oh well, at least it's fixed.

HP Recommended

I have an HP box with model m9517c and am having the EXACT same problem as you guys with the M2N78-LA motherboard.  Also, just barely out of warranty OF COURSE!  Sheesh, stuff like this makes my blood boil.  These machines are not cheap; cheaply built but cost to us is not cheap.  Mine with nice monitor was $1300!!  HP used to make great stuff but now they are just as trashy as the stuff from China.  This whole series of mobo's should be recalled and replaced.  I'd do the labor if they would ship me one.  it's not hard (normally.)

However, the first time I opened the case, the wireless leads broke during case opening.  What an engineering nightmare. i called the HP support line and "talked" to someone whose third language was English.  Never did get my wireless working after that.

Sign me,

Disgusted with HP.

HP Recommended

we are having the same problem. We thought our hard drive went out so we replaced it and that didn't work.  I called hp and they said my sata drives are bad and of course im out of warranty which made me very upset because I've only had the computer 1 year and paid $1300 for it.  That is just ridiculous and they said they can fix it for $350-$400.  HP needs to recall the computers with this motherboard m2n78-la... It seems from this post a lot of people are having the exact same issues.

Does anyone know what motherboard I can purchase to replace this one?  I have the HP Elite 9517c.

HP Recommended

Unless the motherboard is redesigned, HP will replace your bad motherboard with another flawed one. Not a good use of hard earned money.

I shopped around and bought a motherboard that I could transfer my CPU, memory, etc to. I bought a GA-MA785. Vista recognized that the hardware had changed, and refused to work. I regressed back to Windows XP, Now I have a fast reliable PC. I think it was less than 80 dollars for the motherboard. This was one of the ultra-durable models.

We can talk trash about HP, but all the PC companies are the same. Stockholders want their return on their investment. CEO wants his multi-million dollar bonus so he can pay for his yacht, his mansion, and his Ferrari's. Money has to come from somewhere. They cut corners, and as long as they last just past the warranty period, everybody is happy.

At least they are not making flight controls for airliners, or nuclear weapons. Your crash just sits on your desktop.

HP Recommended

Another victim here.  I have an HP Pavilion m8530f and am seeing the same failures as everyone else.  My problem is I cannot seem to find a replacement motherboard for the ASUS M2N78-LA (Viloa GL8E) that is now apparently hosed.  Can anyone recommend an equivalent board (which doesn't go stupid after a year?)

HP Recommended

Yet another victim.  I own an HP m8530f and my PC started acting up recently.  From the previous posts I think we can safely say that the ultimate killer of the boards is heat (poor engineering).  For those of you trying to cool your computer with the elaborate heat sinks and water coolers after the fact, please do not waste your time or money.  Once it is cooked it is cooked. However, if you did get a new board of the same kind (Which I do not recommend) you may be able to install special sink or chip cooler of some form and extend the life of the new mobo.

HP Recommended

i finally replaced mine with a Biostar ta790gxe and now runs great.  no firewire hookup, but i can live with that.

HP Recommended

My HP desktop  HP 6157C,  Product Number NP253AA-ABA, .motherboard M2N7B-LA does not recognize any drives according to a technician.  HP should recall all pcs with this motherboard defect.  Mine is 3 months out of warranty.

HP Recommended

Thats just about when they die. This forum ought to start getting really busy when they start dropping like flies.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.