Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've suddenly had myserious black rectangular boxes show up on my computer screen. The main one is in the upper right hand corner of the screen and contains two sets of 3 white digits; mostly it show 060, and 001. Also, when I bring up the solitaire game I play, I get a second such box, also with 2 sets of 3 white digits, but these change constantly as I play the game. I noticed this yesterday, and rebooted, which caused the boxes to go away, but today when I awoke the computer from sleep mode, the boxes had reappeared. What's going on, and how can I get rid of these things?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hey there! @mcqueenn, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you are getting black boxes on your computer screen.

Have you installed any software program lately on your PC?

Or did you make any changes to your PC?

Try checking in BIOS if you can see the black boxes appear.

To boot into BIOS turn off your PC. Turn on the PC again and keep tapping F10 key on the keyboard you will boot in BIOS.

Check if you can see the black boxes if you don't then continue to the next step.

I would suggest you uninstall the unknown software's from the control panel.

To get into control panel click start on your PC. Search for the control panel. Click control panel once you are in control panel select programs or Programs and features.

Right click on the application which you think are not installed by you and click uninstall.

If the issue still persists, Please provide the product number of your PC. 

I will try to find the best solution.

Hope to hear from you soon! 

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Since my original post, I have determined that the black boxes only appeared when I activated my solitaire game. I had the solitaire game installed on my pc for several years, but the black boxes only began showing up 2 days ago.  When I discovered this situation, I uninstalled the solitaire game, and haven't had any recurrence of the black boxes, so I'm fairly certain that the black boxes were somehow connected to the solitaire game, but why they began popping up  when they did, when I had the game installed on my pc for years is still a mystery.  I tried another solitaire game from the app store, but didn't like it, and uninstalled it within 5 minutes of installing it.  I'd like to be able to go back to playing the previous version of the solitaire game, but don't like the black boxes. Any suggestions?  The product # of my pc is: H4A11AA#ABA.

Thanks for your input and any future assistance.

HP Recommended

@mcqueenn, thanks for the response.

As you mentioned you get the black box only when you play the solitaire game on your PC.

It looks to be an application issue since you are not getting the black box anywhere else on your PC.

So you can try uninstalling the game and reinstall the game and check if it helps.

Or you contact the app vendor for more assistance.

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

> when I bring up the solitaire game I play, I get a second such box, also with 2 sets of 3 white digits, but these change constantly as I play the game.

This seems to be a feature of that specific game.  Maybe, it is "counting" the number of moves that you have made, or it is counting-down for a "timed" game ("challenge yourself to complete the game in 60 seconds").

Can you go into "settings" while playing the game, to deactivate this display?

Is this the specific game that is installed as part of Windows, or is it a game that you downloaded & installed?

Different thought: have you accidentally enabled the "Assistive Technologies" included in Windows?

[One of such features is the "Narrator". Another is "Magnifier". There are others.]

Check that you have not enabled these features to auto-start everytime that you start Windows.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen, Thanks for the response.

I'm really not sure about the game. Because i have not played this game anytime.

I would suggest you get in touch with Microsoft they might be able to help you with the game.

Have a great day ahead! 

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

> @mdklassen, Thanks for the response.

> I'm really not sure about the game. Because i have not played this game anytime.

> I would suggest you get in touch with Microsoft they might be able to help you with the game.

By "you", do you mean "me" ('mdklassen', who responded to the problem), or the original person who authored this problem?

HP Recommended

@mdklassen, Thanks for the response.

I think there was some misunderstanding. 

I thought you are the original author who replied back and replied to your post.

Anyways, thanks for the correction @mcqueenn, please look into the @mdklassen post I think he has answered your query very well.

Both of you have a wonderful weekend ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If your computer is running Windows 7,

and if you were playing the version of Solitare that comes with Windows, it can be reinstalled:

Capture.JPG

by clicking "Turn Windows features on or off", and then expanding the "Games" part of the tree-view, and selecting the program.

HP Recommended

I reinstalled the game and the black boxes immediately returned. When the game is "up" on the computer screen there are boxes in both upper corners of the screen. When I minimize the game, only the box in the upper right hand corner of the screen shows.  The game is one that came with the computer, but I had to install it, but I don't think I actually downloaded it.  Please expand on the comment of possibly inadvertantly activating something. Still puzzled.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.