Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion HP Notebook 15-AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

so I just bought a laptop (Core i7 6500u 2.60ghz, 8gb ddr4, 1TB, Intel HD 520 4gb total, 15.6” LED, dvdrw, Windows 10 64 bit O.S) , the screen randomly goes black for a second, sometimes this may happen in succession , sometimes just once(several times a day). I returned to the store to have it checked and they told me it may be because windows 10 is still updating. i let them do it then came back. But still the problem is still there. i had to take video everytime i use the unit so i can show them . 2nd time i went back, they said they would reset it. afterwards it was still turning black randomly. 3rd time going back to the store they told me they  would send it to HP to have it looked at. but then after several days they texted me and said the unit is ok now. i was informed before that they will send it to hp support but they actually did not. they just had their technician look at it. i dont know what he did but the unit still has the problem but its not as bad like before. the screen occasionally goes black for a moment atleast once a day. can you please help me . i can also send some video of the screen turning black if it can help. i dont know if the problem is due to windows 10 or the unit itself.....thank you 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Michiko1,

Good Day.  Thank you for visiting the HP community. I read the post regarding the screen going black randomly. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Great description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Was the computer reset to factory settings at the store or at HP?
  • Did you run any windows or software updates after that?
  • Have you tried to connect the computer to an external TV via an HDMI cable and check if the issue gets replicated there?

For a start, please leave the computer in the bios for a long time and check if it goes black there.

If it does then the issue is hardware related. Please contact HP phone support to get it resolved.

Steps to go to bios:

• Please keep tapping the Esc key gently several times as soon as you power on the computer.
  • It takes you to the startup menu.
  • Then press the F10 key to go the bios.
  • Please check here. Then load bios defaults by pressing the F9 key.
  • Press F10 to exit saving changes.

Contacting HP

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

If it does not go black in the bios, then please uninstall the display drivers from device manager.

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphic drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Good day sir. Thank you for replying..regarding the information you are asking, it was the store who did the reset and yes I Did update whenever there's an update popping up my screen. Well of course I do read them 1st before clicking update. And lastly I did not connect it to an external tv.

I'm about to check the unit it BIOS mode. But the problem occurs sooo random and I dunno if how many hours should I wait (is 5 hours enough?) also about the warranty, i just bought the unit march 27, and the unit has little scratch on it because of a metal button inside the laptop bag... In this case, is the warranty void? Thank you
HP Recommended

Hi @Michiko1,

I reviewed the post. thanks for the response. You've done great troubleshooting here. It is greatly appreciated. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

Please update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers first and check if the issue gets resolved. if it still happens randomly,

then please backup all your files and perform a complete system recovery to factory settings by clicking here and follow the option "Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly ". This should fix the issue if there is no hardware issue with the computer.

If the issue persists, please contact HP phone support to get the unit serviced. You will find the steps to contact HP phone support in my previous post.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good day sir, screen went black at BIOS mode once. but ok, i will try to do the updates n resets 1st. thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @Michiko1,

I reviewed the post. brilliant troubleshooting. Kudos to you on that score. :). Please try to update only the bios and check again. If it goes blank in the bios, then the issue is hardware related and the computer needs to be serviced. Do not perform any more updates.

Please contact Hp phone support to get the computer serviced.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services is taken care of by the manufacturer’s warranty

It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and to share this platform with you.:) I thank you greatly for that.Please keep me posted about it. 🙂 Trust me I've done all I can to help here and I genuinely hope things work great for you and the issue gets resolved without hassles 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up"button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a gorgeous weekend ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Good day Sir, I finished updating BIOS and graphics driver a little earlier. I'm gonna monitor it again in BIOS screen and see if there is still a problem. thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @Michiko1,

I read your awesome post. Thanks for the update.  Fabulous work. Great job. 🙂 You've been absolutely superb to work with. Hats off to you for a job well done. 🙂

At the outset, you have done a terrific job on troubleshooting and I am really impressed with your troubleshooting skills and levels of technical expertise. Hats off to you on that score! It is always a genuine pleasure to work with tech-savvy customers like you.       

Trust me I've done all I can to help here and I genuinely hope things work great for you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a gorgeous weekend ahead.   🙂      

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.