cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
rtrgoo
Level 2
40 14 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

os cd

HP Recommended
dc7900 and elite 8000
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have 2 desktops, a BUSINESS PRO DC7900 and an ELITE 8000.The 7900 came with the complete dvd kit . Included was a XP PRO, sp 2 and 3 . The 8000 had a similar kit with a WIN 7 PRO. I have seen the OEM WIN 7 PRO 32 bit with 2 different part numbers. The 7900 is #650432. The 8000 is #589203. They are both marked as WIN 7 PRO SP1. The only outward difference is the BLACK and WHITE color combination. black over white versus white over black. Are these 2 CDs EXACTLY the same despite the 2 different numbers? I would like to use the 8000 os cd in the 7900 tower  to change from XP to 7. Is this possible or do I need to buy a complete DVD KIT for the 7900. I have a kit with the WIN 7 cd missing. I was under the impression that only the PLUS CD was model specific. The others were universal. I tried to downgrade the 8000 to XP following the PLUS CD. It did not work as XP is not in the OS's listed. Perhaps I am wrong.  Also the other WIN 7 versions CDs are also missing. I only have WIN 7 PRO to use as that is the only CD I have. Advice please. I can get a 7900 kit from EBAY. I cannot find a WIN 7 PRO specific to the 7900 if that is really needed. I would rather not have to buy another kit just for the sake of ONE CD.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To me, your description seems quite convoluted.

Did the 7900 come with media (and a 25-character product-key) to install Windows 7?

Or, did the 7900 come with media with the product-key embedded in a file on a folder on the media, so that product-key will automatically be applied when installing Windows?

If you try to use the media from the 8000, and there is a product-key embedded on that media, then both computers will use the same product-key, which is a violation of the license.

I looked at: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/identify?q=DC7900

and HP does not offer to sell you a "System Recovery Set", to reinstall the original software that was shipped with the 7900.

Maybe, see:  www.ComputerSurgeons.com  -- they might have that software for purchase.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation