Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
p6-2133w
Linux

Is there a way to bypass fan check at boot? I do not want the chassis fan running and it is not needed, the box is cool enough without it. However, it does not boot, it sits there waiting for F1 to be pressed. But there is no keyboard connected ... the machine is headless.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Segfault, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand that you need to know how to disable chassis fan error on your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

What is the fan error you get on your PC?

If it Error: 512 - Rear Chassis Fan not Detected
Symptom: The Rear chassis fan is not connected or may have malfunctioned.
Actions to resolve: Reseat the rear chassis fan. Reseat fan cable. Replace the rear chassis fan.

Please try the steps recommend below.

Turn on your PC keep tapping the F10 key you will boot into BIOS.

Use the left and right arrow keys to select Advanced menu.
Use the up and down arrow keys to select Hardware Monitor and press Enter.
Select CPU Fan Check and press Enter.
Select Disabled and then press Enter
Press the Down Arrow key to select System fan check and then press Enter.
Select Disabled and then press Enter
Save the settings and exit. The computer restarts.

If the issue still persists, try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC to install the latest drivers for your PC.

Refer this article to know how to use HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists it is a hardware issue, please contact HP support for more assistance.

Link to contact HP.

Please let me know the outcome.

Take Care!:)

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for reply! There is no such menu item, unfortunately. The BIOS upgrade download is an exe file, what I am supposed to do with it?
HP Recommended

@Segfault, thanks for your response and time.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned you don't see options in BIOS.

I had a cross check from my end. Go to BIOS select power tab, select thermal from the list.

Select system fan speed and make it to 0.

Press F10 to save changes and exit.

Hope this helps have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes there is a menu item with fan speed. It shows 0 RPM - because the fan is not connected I guess. I hit F10 from there and exit with save. No change, still error 512. Meanwhile i tried to get the binary out from exe file, no success.

~/downloads $ file sp69356.exe 
sp69356.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows

Tried to unzip.

~/downloads $ unzip sp69356.exe 
Archive:  sp69356.exe
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of sp69356.exe or
        sp69356.exe.zip, and cannot find sp69356.exe.ZIP, period.

Why it is made so difficult?

HP Recommended

@Segfault, thanks for the response.

Thanks for your quick response and time.

As you mentioned you still get 512 chassis fan error on your PC.

Either connect the rear fan to the motherboard or use the optional left side mounting for the original fan. If you use the rear fan, be sure to set the fan to max speed.

Right click on sp69356 click run as administrator and check if it helps.

If the issue still persists it is a hardware issue please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cannot click on anything, I do not have GUI installed. And I doubt it would run even if I had. I find this BIOS upgrade most user-unfriendly. 😞

HP Recommended

@Segfault, thanks for your quick response.

Try restoring the BIOS on your PC and check if helps.

Refer this article to know how to restore BIOS.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Segfault,

Would this help?  It's a year old discussion on ERROR 512, and a fix.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
Thanks! This is promising indeed. Will get on this as soon as I get a chance. I was already considering using two resistors to get some voltage on control pin to cheat out from this error. 🙂
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.