Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So I have this desktop and one of my memory sticks went bad, i had 2GB sticks from HP.  So I purchased Crucial replacement and about 3 other replacement memory packages (2 x 2GB) and all had same result.  short beep, long beep memory error.  I can put the original pair of memory in thery but that second stick is unstable so it sometimes crashes.  so i think this means mobo is ok.  Could it be that the motherboard needs an update.  I have bios v 5.17 running.  though I don't see that update anywhere on the HP site now.  I do see other desktops that use this motherboard and there are updates 6.07 and 6.09A but i get the error 253 code when I try installing them.  SO I think this must be an HP problem?  Maybe they never updated the bios to be valid for the s5150t????  HELP!

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Hi,

The below information from HP will ensure the best dimm compatibility for the Eureka 3 motherboard:

test quality2.jpg

If you still have issues when using the correct dimms, then try the below diagnostic CD.

Download memtest86 iso file and burn it to disk using Imgburn

You might need to clear the CMOS to get the dimm pairs to bond.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I don't think you have the correct specs.  The HP memory that shipped with PC is PC-10600.   The Crucial replacement specs are the same.  I tried that.  I tried the PC-8500 and neither worked at all.  I tried another company's PC-10600 and it works but crashes a lot.  So I also tried resetting the CMOS and there seemed to be no effect from the direction that are on HP website.  Can you please walk me through this to make sure I am doing it correctly?

It is really weird that I can put perfectly good memory in and it won't boot as I said above.  But if I put this random 2x2GB stick in from Adata, it does boot but not stable.  So ...?  Help!  TIA.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The specs are correct as I have check them in three different places. However, it might be possible that HP has posted the wrong specs in three different places but that is unlikely.

The specs are PC3 and not PC as you have mentioned.

Best results can be achieved by using matched dimms from the same manufacturer in all slots

If your PC has the Pentium E5300 (800 mhz FSB) then using PC3-6400 dimms might be a better choice if the brand of dimms that you are buying will not clock down to the 800 mhz FSB speed.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Yes I misspoke, they are PC3.  but the fact is that HP ships PC3-10600 memory (aka DDr3-1333) but I believe the mobo is reading it at PC3-8500.  I have tried both speeds and the computer will NOT accept them, won't even get to boot screen. And yes I know you can't mix and match sticks, they must be installed in correct slots etc.  

So apparently Crucial doesn't stock the correct memory for this mobo - note that they also list PC3-10600 as the correct one!

Can you please explain to me how to reset the CMOS bios so it will accept these supposedly correct memory sticks?  If that doesn't work then I guess its just yet another defect in this computer from HP.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The bios is going to "frame" the faster dimms to PC3-8500.  That is not going to change.

HP Recommended

Again, 3rd time, how do you reset the CMOS to accept new memory because HP instructions (moving jumpers) didn't do ANYTHING.  

HP Recommended

You already reset the CMOS per your previous post.  Why are you asking how to do it if you have already tried that process?

Don't be condescending in your responses or assistance will end with this response.

HP Recommended

Hi,

We're having the same problem as the user previously reported.

We took the memory from the machine (in our case an HP Pro 3120 MT , model WU269EA#ABU), I checked the specification using the part number on the Ram which does indeed come back as DDR3 PC3-10600 non-ECC ram. It has Elpida part number EBJ21UE8BDF0-DJ-F dimms installed.

We also ran the Crucial memory advisor which also recommended DDR3 PC3-10600 RAM, we've bought two sets now from Corsair and from Crucial and neither work, we just get the post beep codes (one short, one long) indicating a memory fault.

We checked the home page for the computer model, which also states that the machine takes PC3-10600 RAM,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02170974&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

PC Wizard reports the motherboard as a Pegatron 2A94 version 1.03 (which also support DDR3 1066 (same as PC3-10600), although the motherboard is screenprinted as the IPIEL-LA3 (hence adding to this thread). As I understand it this is just an HP branded version of the Pegatron motherboard.

So every document and page states PC3-10600 except the page for the IPIEL-LA3 motherboard which states PC3-8500

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01746799

We've upgraded to the latest BIOS, cleared CMOS and tried just about everything else we can think of but every stick of PC3-10600 we've tried results in the memory fault beep codes.

Unfortunately we don't have any PC3-8500 lying around to try otherwise I'd give it a go, but given the overwhelming documentation supporting the fact it should take PC3-10600 can you think of any reason at all why it won't work?

It's not helped by the confussing information from all the various sources I've quoted. I say confussing, the only conflicting information is on the specification page for that motherboard, everywhere else is consistent in stating the use of PC3-10600.

I'd appreciate any guidance in resolving this.

HP Recommended
One further link I've found for this model on the HP site also supports that the DDR3-1333 / PC3-10600 memory version should be the right one..

https://h10057.www1.hp.com/ecomcat/hpcatalog/specs/provisioner/05/WU269EA.htm
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.