Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought a refurbished desktop HP - 5800 from walmart.com and the mouse and keyboard they sent with it has USB plug on them and I have tried them in every port on the computer and can't get them to work, do I need to get adapter to plug them into the green and purple plugs on the back of computer?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Note the ports to the left of the "blue" video-port.  The column of 4 ports all are USB ports.  Try the keyboard's connector into one of the 4 ports.  If it does not go in, rotate the connector 180 degrees, and it will go in.

HP Recommended

it still won't work and i have tried all 4 ports

HP Recommended

Take a very-close look at the USB-connector on your keyboard.

You'll see a plastic "spacer" inside the silver rectangle.

Take a very-close look at the USB-socket on your computer.

You'll see a similar "spacer" inside the socket.

+-------------------+     +----------------+

| SPACER -----------+                      |

|                                          |--cable-> mouse

|                         + --- SPACER ----|

+-------------------+     +----------------+

Obviously, the connection works only when "oriented" as above -- the two "spacers" are "offset".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.